Ants

• 2 Replies

Brambles

Ants
« on: June 25, 2011, 22:16 »
I have just pulled up a couple of 'finished' rows of broad beans and I would like to add compost and rotted chicken manure to plant some squash plants in their place.   As I pulled them up, I found a massive ants "Town" underneath!   I dug the area and walked on it to stablize the ground as it was a mass of tunnels and the soil was really loose.
I am hoping to put my squash in tomorrow...  Please can anyone advise as to whether the ground will be ok for the squash, or is there something I should be doing to move the ants on to another area (hopefully the compost heap!)   

Trillium

Re: Ants
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 23:30 »
the only thing I've found that really deters them is to keep cultivating their nest for a while. Eventually they'll move on. So, put off planting the squash as long as possible until you don't see them about. Might take a few days.

Brambles

Re: Ants
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 23:34 »
Thank you Trillium... will leave it a few days (maybe next weekend).. will make them unwelcome until then and see how it goes.   I will just keep digging in lots of 'nice' stuff which will not be such a waste of time... that will also make it perfect for squash :D

xx
ANTS!!

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 21:12
by rawrecruit
xx
Ants

Started by veg-grower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2006, 22:27
by Beanzie
xx
ants

Started by annie2006 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 17:59
by woodburner
clip
ANTS

Started by Justniv on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2015, 14:03
by Justniv

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 38 queries.