"real" Rotovators

• 13 Replies

Digger the Dog

"real" Rotovators
« on: May 23, 2017, 10:51 »
Suggestions of manufacturers of "real" Rotovators like the Howard Gem

By "Rotovator" I mean driven front wheels and rear tines, Forward and Reverse gearbox and even a diesel engine. I know of the Bertolini range but hope that some-one could suggest a few more manufacturers.

I'm after something like the Howard Gem which can have accessories added to it. ie a Ridger, a Plough etc

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Re: "real" Rotovators
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 13:07 »
As you are not thinking of buying a Howard Gem, I assume you require something new or newish. Camon make rear tyne machines, though reviews are mixed and, of course, there is Honda's "Versatile" range. Both require deep pockets and you would need a big plot to justify spending the sort of money they cost new. Those Chinese Maxtra/Nielsen etc, things are a lot cheaper, but I don't knoow if accessories are available. Do not assume "mid tyne" tillers are less good, I suspect I get a better tilth with my machine than you would with a Howard, though it is slower.
R Tallentire

Digger the Dog

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 21:03 »
R Tallentire - Many thanks, just the information I needed

jezza

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 23:00 »
hi Kiilworth supply Ferrari rotavators they have petrol engines from 7hp to 10hp the diesels are 9 to 15hp top speed is only 4 miles an hour not racing car speeds  theres also Goldoni Grillo Husquvarna and Lawnflite make rear roter models that have bi directional tines eg they run backwards as the wheels go forward this is for heavy compacted soil then run forward for finer tilths  jezza

Digger the Dog

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:31 »
The reason that I've discounted the Howard Gem is that I believe that they are not made any more? I had one for years and it was a very good machine; mine had the Hatz diesel engine.

Grillo and Goldini look interesting especially if there are accessories for them like ploughs, ridgers etc.

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 23:25 »
BCS make some great looking 'two wheeled tractors' that can have loads of things attached to them. Similar to Cammon and quite expensive. Although saw an older model (diesel as well) sold for under a grand on fleabay.

I'm wanting to treat myself to one someday. I have a Howard Bantam and it's lacking as it was faffed around with before I got it.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

jezza

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 22:24 »
the camon  is made by BCS Tracmaster   a neighbour of mine has given his allotment up and has a howerd 350 he needs to sell    jezza

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 22:33 »
..a neighbour of mine has given his allotment up and has a howerd 350 he needs to sell    jezza

Where abouts and how much? Might be interested if it's close enough

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 09:28 »
Sorry chaps, but I need to remind you of the forum rules that say no buying or selling through the site.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

m1ckz

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 02:32 »
ive had rge MAXTRA for 2 years now   its been great i luv it lol

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 17:26 »
rotovators my god have they been a pain this season I bought a second hand merry tiller said to be in good working order  as my old merry tiller [titan] that I bought some 30 years ago and that has never let me down finally gave up basically the engine was worn out

so as I said a friend offered me a second hand £50 +servicing made it £100 no problem with that I thought all singing and dancing now but when I came to use it for prepping and planting my potatoes it decided to breakdown many times I add

took it to my friend who said its ok now but when I come  to ridge up the potatoes its all stop start spark plug needing cleaning and smoke it looked like I was on fire so with steam coming out my ears I decided there and then to buy a new tiller

the ones that took my fancy where the Honda FJ500 and the VIKING HB585 roughly about the same price
now its been some time since I bought a new tiller and so I thought I would ask other gardeners there opinion on these tiller before buying so and info or comments on these two tillers would be very much appreciated

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 18:11 »
I've recently bought a Howard 220, and at first impression it'll work better than my Bantam. I may swap the Aspira for a Honda though as it's a pain to start.

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 20:40 »
I know I am biased, but why not get a new Merry Tiller. The Titan lasted you 30 years, so a new one should see you out. They are expensive, but so are Hondas, and you can only get the Suburban model (the early Wolseley Major was the Suburban model re-badged.) They do make a smaller machine but this has a different chaincase with a 1” rotor shaft.

I would have gone for a new engine on the Titan, £100 for a Chinese copy of a Honda GX160, fits right on the early Titan, but after about 1980 Webb started to fit belt guides bolted to the engine's timing case, so these guides won't fit a Honda clone.

Digger the Dog

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 12:36 »
Just an update
A bit of sheer luck: Out of the blue I was offered a Viking HB585 with 20 hours "on the clock" for £380.

I've every reason to believe that to be right as the Tines show no rounding on the tips. It seems the poor chap who had it, used it a bit, came home one day and said that he didn't feel very well and then suffered a Stroke. The machine was sold by his Son in Law who had no need for such a big machine.

Now to try and locate some of the "goodies" that can be hung off the 585

xx
The "toy" engine "expert" is out.

Started by Gwiz on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post April 21, 2007, 09:57
by Gwiz
xx
The RYOBI 410r 31cc "rotavator"

Started by Guzzik on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 19:25
by 4th season allot
xx
"Aquired" some corrugated plastic sheets

Started by Kleftiwallah on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 24, 2017, 10:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
3d "T" shaped greenhouse clips

Started by Daffodil on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 18, 2019, 16:52
by Veg Plot 1B

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 39 queries.