egg size for breed?

• 6 Replies

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
egg size for breed?
« on: July 27, 2008, 20:47 »
My Buff Sussex has just started laying (whilst we were on holiday - as expected!) BUT the eggs are teeny - I really thought it was the bantam until i realised she was in the nest box for about 3 hours - nothing, took her off (for which she gave me a filthy look), then went straight back in. 20 mins later I checked her again (I was worried there was something wrong with her), an there was a tiny egg, in fact the same size as the previous four days.

Anyone any idea how large Sussex eggs are normally?

Anyway the taste delicious whatever the size!

Yolky

egg size for breed?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 20:51 »
I think that the eggs get bigger as you go along and the first ones are like practice ones. I hope this is right as my black rock layed her second egg today and it was only 45g lol.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
egg size for breed?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 20:58 »
Yolky - what's the converter for your eglu? We have a cube and it is fab but need to get the extension (or 2) for when we go on hols - hubby mackled something together this time but a bit tight for me to craw into (although the 9 year old looking after them managed fine!)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
egg size for breed?
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 21:51 »
All the information is on their web site blulagoo.

http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php

Yolky

egg size for breed?
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 21:53 »
I have the original eglu and the run sort of slopes upwards from the eglu so the converter is a piece of run that takes the slope off. With the converter and extention the run is now 4m long so gives my three girls enough room.

Do you ever go onto the Omlet forum? Take a look at this thread.. http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25851 the lady has made it so the door to get in is much bigger so easier to clean/poo pick. Might be worth a go?

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
egg size for breed?
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 22:01 »
Great idea - but on the forum the lady say £19 for a run extension - Omleyt has it priced as £100 - bit of a price difference I think!

Yolky

egg size for breed?
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 22:09 »
The forum lady is talking about the support arch which is £19 which you would need to be able to make the door open as she has. If you want to make the run bigger then yes you would have to buy the £100 extention I am afraid. They are so expensive, I was very lucky to have a friend who was upgrading to a cube and so gave me her converter/extention as it would have cost me £100 for both of these and I am not sure the husband would have been too happy with that  :?

xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
Which breed of hen

Started by Viv on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 31, 2007, 23:07
by Fat Hen
xx
Which breed should I get?

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 13:18
by 3Bluebelles

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 30 queries.