First egg!

• 22 Replies

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
Re: First egg!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 12:37 »
Oooh Elcie, not sure - maybe an omlet? Been getting two eggs a day since wednesday (loved that too!) and now three today. Therefore, two of the eggs are not exactly normal egg size yet, but the three together might make a decent omlet? Whatever I do make I know it will taste lovely!

Just really glad all the girls are laying now. All the eggs are slightly different shades of brown so I like that too! ;-)

carolbriar

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 12:43 »
What time are you expecting us for lunch :D :D
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 12:58 »
congrats, ive got my mum in law coming on thursday, shes a great cook so shes gonna teach me some recipes for my eggs,  im really really bad at cooking, i can just about manage the basics to feed my children :lol: :lol: but i feel i owe it to my girls to deliver some other eggs based dishes,  top of my list is to teach me to make a queche :lol:  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 14:46 »
Well Carol you could've come as when I went out to give them some corn just now...yep someone has laid another egg!

4 eggs...3 hens.... Not sure whats going on, but I like it! 8) The extra egg looks like its from the newbie layer as its the same as the new one I got this morning. Although to be fair, I didn't check the nest box when I put them to bed last night so the newbie could actually have laid her first egg sometime yesterday evening.

Nicky, I'm also looking for some egg based recipes too - there is one I use a lot anyway which is originally from a vegetarian cookbook and its really simple and tastes really good- stuffed tomatoes. I'm (hopefully ;)) growing some 'Striped stuffer' tomatoes and marjoram especially for this recipe! If you like tomatoes and fancy giving it a go I'll happily PM you the instructions!

chuckmad

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 09:45 »
I got my first egg on Tuesday, waiting for the next one now. 5 hens 1 egg ???. we're getting there at least

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 13:54 »
They'll get there - and when they do you will appreciate them even more! Someone I know got their hens the same day as me and still only one of hers is laying...she is slightly envious as I already have a backlog and am already thinking of pickling some and she has a family of four who would quite like eggs for breakfast!

Today I had some electricians round who watched in awe as I opened the nest box and removed today's three eggs! ::) I hope I never lose that excited feeling!

chuckmad

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 17:14 »
Please let me have your recipe for pickling eggs, my dad would love those (and me too)

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 20:05 »
Was actually going to use this one off the site as I've never made them before!

www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/170/spiced-pickled-eggs-recipe/

There was also a thread recently about making them...

Hope that helps!

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 35 queries.