Extra TV Channels

• 5 Replies

mrs bouquet

Extra TV Channels
« on: January 20, 2023, 16:38 »
I keep seeing these suggestions on tv about, get IVTX, or get Paramount.    I do get a little fed-up with all the repeats on all the channels I can get, but manage to find some I liked and then watch them again.
This morning, I remembered I bought a firestick ! to use, but although somebody showed me how, I never got the hang of it.     So, I got out my tv operating instructions, to see what the tv is.    It's a Sony Bravia LCD digital colour, and I have tried to trace the year of manufacture which seems to be 2011.  I thought it was much older.
Now, what can I watch.  Should I go for something I pay for  (my friend has Netflix and thats all she watches.)  Daughter has Sky and amazon prime, but their tv is quite new.
Obviously it is dependent on ones viewing interests.    I like a film, but not scifi or disney or cartoon type things.  I like documentaries and a good who dun it.

would I be able to get anything, what would be best for me ?  bearing in mind I am a technophobe
Thanks for taking the time to read this, my friends, and your advice.      Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Extra TV Channels
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 13:39 »
Do you have a YouView box Mrs. B (or equivalent?)

To save a lot of typing (especially if you've already got one!):

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/broadband/guides/hardware/youview-box-review-all-you-need-to-know
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 13:54 »
I have just finished reading about this box, but cannot find out how much it costs !  I have a little sky box for my laptop and landline.  I don't think I pay BT for the line coming into the house.         I shall have to investigate this further.  If I get one, I shall have to pay for somebody to set it up as well.    Mrs Bouquet

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 14:51 »
Yes, it can get complicated!  :wacko:

You don't need to be a BT customer to use a BT (or any other 'Youview' box), you just need an internet connection to watch the channels which aren't provided via your TV aerial.
Some channels (like BBC I-player) are free to use, others (such as Netflix and Prime) require a subscription as I think you already know.

(For me, one of the best things about the box is that I can record programmes on the commercial channels and then fast-forward through all the tedious adverts when I watch them!  ;))

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 09:34 »
I find Roku really simple to select between services which are much the same to actually operate. Avoid Apple+  though, jitters and buffers. Well nigh impossible to watch.
I reckon you'd like BritBox - lots of old faves to re-watch or that you missed the first time round.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 12:59 »
My computer/tv man has been today.  He has shown me again how to use the firestick and I have written it down.    So now, I can get everything.    But I must keep using it, otherwise I shall forget again. :D  Thanks again,  Mrs B

xx
Extra hour snoozing this weekend

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post October 29, 2018, 11:37
by al78
xx
Want some extra birthday good wishes?

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2020, 10:50
by mumofstig
xx
Extra Large Carrots, Parsnips and Beetroots Needed

Started by dazzr1 on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post September 06, 2022, 10:41
by dazzr1

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 46 queries.