• 5 Replies
« on: February 01, 2009, 18:08 »
Hi all as a total novice what should i actually be doing at this time of year. I have dug over forked in manure and am currently chitting some potatoes. should i be potting things up in the greenhouse? i just want the basics potatoes, cabbages, runner beans, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, leeks, parsnips!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 18:17 »
So many questions!

Firstly welcome to the forums. Have a look at this page on the site, it'll give you some idea of what you should be doing & when, but please don't be afraid to ask any specific questions.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden_month.php

I'll move this to "Grow You Own", where the topic is more suited, & maybe you could pop along to the "Welcome" forum & tell us a bit about yourself.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 19:36 »
Hi, and welcome,

First thing is, do it for yourself, don't try to please other people, it's not everyone's cup of tea. If your sure it's your thing, that's great. This time of year you could be potting up leeks, onions. You have done the basics, (turned the plot over, and manured) just follow the instructions on the seed packs to grow the veg in your list, and you should be fine. Also have a read through the many posts on here about the different veg.

Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 20:54 »
Hi there, welcome Newbie.  You've done the back breaking work.  I've just completed digging over a part of my plot.  We took it over just before Christmas, we actually swapped this plot from our other one.  The people who had this one had a small lawn, so I dug it up and I've just put on manure, bone meal and some compost.  This will be for my caulis, cabbage and sprouts.  Usually at this time of year, its when you need to clean and disinfect the greenhouse, do any non-garden jobs, ie are your paths in good order, fencing, etc.  Also, you need to look at your seeds and start them off, ie onions, leeks, parsnips, etc.  In a couple of months, you won't know where to turn, because you will be busy sowing your seeds, etc.  I've got a calendar on my computer, and basically what I've done is input all my seed dates, and put reminders on them so that they pop up for when they need to be planted.  Makes life easier.  Anyway, good luck on your lottie. ;)
Babs

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 21:16 »
Give yourself a few years to learn by your successes and mistakes.  Choose a few vegetables you really like, read the seed packets and do what they say.  Keep it simple and try not to be overwhelmed by all the advice available.  Ask lots of questions on here.

My late dad was the inspiration for my love of growing veg.  Bless his little hob nail boots.
Cheese makes everything better.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 21:53 »
Thank you all for your advice.

xx
newbie here

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post November 14, 2008, 20:29
by rictic
xx
Hi from a newbie

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post December 17, 2006, 14:08
by Ice
xx
newbie help please!

Started by clarabel on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 23:08
by compostqueen
xx
Yet another newbie!

Started by Angelah on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2006, 23:25
by John

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 39 queries.