Battery Hen Information

• 24 Replies

Lilac

Battery Hen Information
« on: June 26, 2007, 13:02 »
Hi all,

I am getting a couple of Ex Battery Hens in a couple of weeks.  I have never kept hens before, and although I have done loads and loads of reading up on them, I would be grateful if anyone could offer me any more info.  I am especially keen to know what I can feed my girls, other than their normal food, to enable them to become fit and healthy.  Thanks very much

mercury

Battery Hen Information
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 13:22 »
hello lilac, welcome to the site, i can only tell you how i feed my hens, i give them pellets in the morning, and corn in the evening, and greens in between, i also give them, organic cider vinager in their water, on this diet, my hens thrive  :)  :)
Ps, where abouts in the country are you, it helps when giving advice :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Battery Hen Information
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 14:19 »
Make sure their house is warm and cosy, as many of them are very bald when you get them.  They may also have trouble walking at first.  I feed very much as Mercury does, they soon get used to 'other' food as they have been used to layers mash and nothing else.  Try to give tham some food and water inside at first, as it may take them a few days to venture out.  Wait until you watch them come out forhte first time though!!!  They look at the sky and the grass in wonder because they've never seen it before.  its amazing

It didn't take my girls long to start following me around whenever I appeared with a bucket or bowl.  I still feel like the pied piper at times!  And they love most of the weeds I dig up too, like chickweed and Good King Henry (okay, herbs not weeds!!! lol)  And I occasionally give them a bit of my comfrey.  But they'll soon pick up.  

Some are very stressed and don't live too long though, as they are bred purely for producing eggs which they do with a vengance, but once they are past 72 weeks old, they are living on borrowed time.  Some live for a couple of extra years, but we have lost some of ours after only a few weeks.  But its a few weeks of sheer bliss to them.  Don't think I'm being negative, but at least if you are prepared for the worst, then you'll get more joy out of them while they are with you.  Which hopefully will be a long time yet!!!!    :D  :D

Lilac

Battery Hen Information
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 14:40 »
Thanks for the advice. its really appreciated. Aw you are not being negative, I realise that sometimes they do not live very long. poor little things.  I am prepared for it.  But if I can make them at least have some nice times on this planet then I am happy to do that.

Mercury, I live in North Yorkshire, if that helps :)

One more question, the greens that you give them, do they like them cooked, uncooked, or are they not to bothered? Thanks

GrannieAnnie

Battery Hen Information
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 14:44 »
Mine have both cooked leftover veggies, and uncooked.  Whenever I pick a cabbage or whatever, they get the outer leaves, and because we have 60 of them (we've lost 10 over the past 9 months!) I cut the leaves up small, so they all get a bit!!!!!  Plus our garden is full of dandelions and clover too!

It's hard to fill the compost bins sometimes.  the dog gets the leftover meat and the chooks get the leftover veg!!!! lol

Lilac

Battery Hen Information
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 15:15 »
Once again, thanks for the info. Hopefully with your advice and what I already know my girls will be fit and healthy in no time.

lol at the state of your compost heap! :lol:

GrannieAnnie

Battery Hen Information
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 23:12 »
Then in the winter, I buy them some of the cheap Tesco porridge oats, but you can use their layers mash or pellets too, boil up your potato skins and other veg peelings like carrots, drain, but leave a little liquid, then mix in the oats or mash or pellets.  They have this mix late in the afternoons.  They go mad for it, you'll see them pick up a piece of peeling and rush round the run, closely followed by the others who are trying to take it off them.  gives them some exercise, and me a giggle!!!!

I've got some pics on my photobucket if you would like to see them??

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l33/grannieannie_2006/Chooks/

flatcap

• Experienced Member
Battery Hen Information
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 08:09 »
hi ga

been nosy i had a look at your pics ,loved the one of hen peeking out there house  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Battery Hen Information
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 15:00 »
Smashing pictures Grannie.  I love this one, points out what a hideous crime keeping battery hens is:  

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
Battery Hen Information
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 15:03 »
Lovely photos.  What lovely run and shed they've got.

Hi Lilac I've had four battery hens for three months and they seem to be doing well, fingers crossed.  I feed them on layers mash. It took them a time to eat any greens but they seem to love baby leaf spinach. As Granny says, it's so lovely to see them happy after what they have been through.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GrannieAnnie

Battery Hen Information
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 15:39 »
Thanks, the pic of the one peeping out of the pop hole was her first look outside, but it took her 4 days to actaully step onto the grass.  (grass, what grass????) lol

Lilac

Battery Hen Information
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 21:07 »
Aw I love your pics. I really am grateful for your advice everyone.  I am so looking forward to getting my girls.  I am so thankful that the BHWT exists and gives people like us a chance to make a difference to these poor animals lives.

Nikki

Battery Hens
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 17:28 »
Quote from: "Lilac"
Aw I love your pics. I really am grateful for your advice everyone.  I am so looking forward to getting my girls.  I am so thankful that the BHWT exists and gives people like us a chance to make a difference to these poor animals lives.

Hi, I have been keeping battery hens for 3 years and they make lovely pets after a while. I also give them porridge in the winter and they like wheatabix just as much!  We have just taken delivery of another 10 and they are now very much at home.  They've been with us 10 days and love it.  Don't be disheartened when you get them, within a couple of months they will look smashing and it's all down to you!  Also you will notice the difference in the quality of the eggs.  By the way, in the summer they love watermelons - just don't stand too  near them or you will get covered when they flick the juice at you!

Lilac

Battery Hen Information
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 17:43 »
thanks for the advice Nikki.  When you give them porridge and weetabix in the winter, do you give them it with milk like we have it or do you mean you give it them dry.  I am sorry if these questions seem a bit dumb to some of you, but I really do want to know the right way to do things

Lilac

Battery Hen Information
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 20:55 »
Another (silly?) question from me.  Are all Battery Hens the same breed, or do they use all sorts of breeds of hen.    :? Thanks

xx
Other egg information

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 15:22
by Aunt Sally
xx
Information please.

Started by SG6 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 17:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
Information on cockrels please

Started by shamina on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 22:55
by Foxy
xx
information on ducks pls

Started by lisa123 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 21:42
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 39 queries.