Hen house

• 4 Replies

asd1

• Experienced Member
Hen house
« on: September 18, 2011, 18:27 »
This is now the fourth year for our lil wooden coop and after many add ons and adjustments to it a lick of paint will no longer jazz it up ( it is one on the  Chinese import types ) I think it could probably last a good while longer but it's perhaps not so robust as it once was. I'm thinking of buying a new coop come spring time but I'm having a trouble finding one big enough for 9 + hens. I want to weigh up the pros and con of wooden vs plastic and also buying vs commissioning someone to make me one? If anyone can share their thoughts on this it would be much appreciated ( I'm looking at spending no more the £400) thanx in advance 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hen house
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 18:35 »
I like my solway arks and these are big enough for more birds than you have, however they don't appeal to everybody. I live in a rural area so they fit in very well as they look like pig arks. Hillfooter loves his Forsham arks which cost about the same as the solway and are an excellent design, but I just don't want the hassle of treating the wood etc.
For me plastic beats wood every time but that is just my own personal preference. I would advise you to see the different coops in the flesh before deciding as it is an awful lot of money to spend on something that you will have for many years.
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 18:44 »
The best wooden ones on the market are Forsham and a Lenham will house the number you want but the price will be nearer £500+.  A second hand one maybe available.

If you commission one you'd better have a good design.  A house is a lot more than a small shed and you would need to do a good deal of research to design one which is robust, Red Mite unfriendly, easy to clean and maintain and suitable for your birds.

There's a lot of know how in coop design which the local handy man will be ignorant of.  There's a lot of poor designs about too and many poor plans which are no better than the cheap chinese imports.  There's an interesting thread by diggit on a home designed and built one which ticks many of the right boxes and has buseful  discussion of the features a house should have.  You'd be surprised how technical a good design is.

HF
Truth through science.

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 22:15 »
Thanx for the advice iv looked at the sloway ones at the norfolkshow I'm more interested in function then form so they woyld fit the bill. Also the guy I have in mind to commission one if I chose that option is a shed maker by trade but he made my parents a chicken coop about 6 years ago and it's still good as new today also as I know him well I could dictate what I want. Idealy I'd like a house more then big enough for my girls that I can move easily by myself and can deconstruct to clean by myself, has a easy access nest box and plenty or perch space to avoid birds sleeping on the floor also made from sheet material to reduce red mite

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:16 »
I bought one big enough for 12 hens which was ex-display and only cost me £100. The only problem was it was already made up and we had a bit of a problem getting it home and through the gate!

xx
Hen house

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 21:08
by Foxy
xx
what can I use in the hen house

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 23:21
by Stree
xx
New Hen House Help!!

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 09:30
by babaloo151070
xx
DIY Hen House

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 15:18
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 36 queries.