Gooseberries

• 7 Replies

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
Gooseberries
« on: January 08, 2011, 17:25 »
I'm thinking of growing some gooseberry bushes. I have a bed 15ft by 4ft. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has grown them, particularly regarding variety to grow, how many bushes, are cordons worth doing, cultural problems, should they have a frame to protect them from birds etc. Thanks in advance for your advice.

savbo

Re: Gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 18:16 »
I don't know a lot about goosegogs but we inherited 2 big bushes with the plot and I can say you need about 4' square for each one, I think ours might be Lancashire Lad and they are lovely, and DEFINITELY net/mesh them because the woodpigeons stripped almost every ripe fruit. Also good to put weed fabric under them cos weeding around those thorns is a b*****r  :)

SocksOn

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 12:36 »
We've got a few small ones and our problem was aphids and the birds, but other than that they were very easy to grow, not sure about space sorry I think ours are too close together.

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 14:39 »
space wise my 3 are probably too close too - about 4 feet apart, the bed is about 2.5 feet wide.

Initially I had serious sawfly problem but after resorting to selected chemical warfare (before and after flowering) in 2009, the bushes recovered and last year I had a great harvest.  I was particularly impressed with Red Dessert (sorry, that's what it said on the label from the garden centre so no idea what it is)   The other 2 are green - I bought Invicta, the other inherited with the plot.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 18:41 »
Sorry to steal your post but you have just reminded me that we had sawfly on our goosegogs but didn't treat it.  Should I do anything now or wait and check to see the damage once the new growing season starts?

Totty

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 21:22 »
We have two bushes in the garden, one is the green Invicta, the other the red Hinnokomi Red, The later crops heavily and the fruit is absolutely lovely, probably my fave among the raspberries, strawberrys and currents we grew last year. The Invicta on the other hand, although i had read that it was a heavy cropper, we found it was far from it. May be our area or soil condition, but would certainly recommend the red!

Totty

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 17:13 »
Thanks for the help - Lancashire lad it is - had to be in this part of the world, and i'll put a fruit frame round them.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 21:20 »
The Yellow leveller gooseberrys are the best by far! eat them straight form the bush , i cant wait  :)
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

xx
Feeding gooseberries and gooseberries in pots

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 21:29
by londongardener
xx
Red gooseberries

Started by charliesmum on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 09:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
gooseberries

Started by postie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 21:34
by Ivah
xx
gooseberries

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 18:09
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 39 queries.