When best to rotivate!

• 13 Replies

Donnay

• Experienced Member
When best to rotivate!
« on: August 12, 2013, 20:57 »
Hi,

Can you please tell me when is the best time to rotivate. Are you best digging over in autumn and rotivating spring or can you rotivate any time and don't need to dig over if rotivating??

Sorry if it sounds a stupid question but not been doing this long!

BobE

Re: When best to rotivate!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 21:39 »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 22:13 »
Depends, do you have a hard pan about 6 - 8ins down which stops the soil draining and is difficult for roots to grow into?

If you do, then it is probably best to dig deeply during Autumn/Winter, to loosen the hard pan, and rotovate in Spring.

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 22:38 »
I personally would recommend deep digging in Autumn/Winter and then rotivating in spring.  Last year I rotivated three beds and left them for the winter the rest I just dug and left.  When spring time came the three that I had rotavated were solid where the winter rains had created a hard pan across the top of them and they seemed to have much more weeds. I had a terrible time trying to break them up and had to re-rotavate them.   The ones that were left just dug, were rotavated in spring and broke down beautifully for me and were much less weedy

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 22:43 »
You don't have to rotivate at all. It's not compulsory  :)

m1ckz

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 06:57 »
ive just dug some of mine ,,then put horse muck on top which was rotvated in,, i then put a layer of muck on top ,  that will stay like that till spring

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:11 »
You don't have to rotivate at all. It's not compulsory  :)

Granted, but as the OP asked when to rotivate rather than if to rotivate it would seem rude not to tell him  :D :lol:

ghost61

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 08:29 »
As to the best time, not 6.30 on a Sunday morning like one of our lottie holders!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 08:56 »
best time of the day ,,he he heeeee

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 11:08 »
You see what I mean, nothing good ever came from rotivating  :D  Antisocial bunch  ;)

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 11:30 »
Taking my cue from mum, and trying to answer the op, the best time to rotovate depends on the soil, which may mean that the best time is never, 'cos it don't need it.

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 11:55 »
It depends what kind of soil you have, it may not need it.  And if you have couch grass in it, don't ever do it till you got rid of it all.
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

seaside

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 12:12 »
Whatever method is employed, it's always a good idea to think of what pests have been around in the Summer, and what is the best time to disturb their plans for bunkering down. That, more often than not, means Autumnal digging, with another light going over in the Spring. And if one prefers to hand dig, it's a lot easier to do the main dig in Autumn than in the Spring when the soil is heavy.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:15 by seaside »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 13:45 »
A lot depends on what sort of soil you've got - if mine were a heavy clay I'd be digging as much organic material I could get my hands on in autumn to try to improve it.

I actually have sandy soil, and there is no point either digging it or adding manure in autumn because the winter rain would wash it all away, although I am now pondering the value of lightly forking over the top 6 inches once or twice in winter given that this year I have added pea thrips to my list of bugs which overwinter in the soil........
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
To rotivate or not ?

Started by Mega on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 09:29
by stuart curran
xx
Best Month To Rotivate?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2011, 19:31
by Babstreefern
xx
No dig method or rotivate - opinions please

Started by Honey65 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 14, 2015, 22:25
by LandShark

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 37 queries.