why is there just 1

• 13 Replies

waffles

why is there just 1
« on: July 29, 2009, 20:34 »
i have just recently bought some exbatts and on some days i have 3 eggs. but i have 4 hens i am wondering why there is just one, not laying. if you have ny ideas please do not hesitate to tell me.

chickadee

Re: why is there just 1
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 21:05 »
i have 3 hens and some days i have 3 eggs but other days 2, 1 or occasionaly 0 unless you know that it is just one that is not laying for sure i guess they take days off - ex-batts are not my area mine are 18mth old hybrid so cannot offer any more, all i know is there could be a multitude of reasons for a hen not laying, past posts usually give me some ideas.
chickens out

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 21:47 »
not every chicken can cope with laying a egg per day , they do need to have rest periods at times . i have 16 laying adults 15 of them are ex batts { with 1 maran } i have 12 - 14 eggs per day at times i have had 16 .

as the weather dulls down they will lay less i think its around october to feb time they can stop altogether  but then pick up again .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:09 »
please remember that your hens have been used as egg laying machines and their production will have started to slow down which is why the farmer will have got rid of them. Ex batts should be thought of as being in retirement when the rescue people get them and if you get any eggs that is just a bonus for you  :D The poor girlies can only lay so many eggs in their life.  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

waffles

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 09:41 »
when i bought these ex  batts last sat i put them in a diffrent run to me other three girls does any 1  no wen i cud put them in with me girls

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 11:10 »
that's a question like how long is piece of string?  :D
You can start trying to integrate them as soon as you like, but beware that it could be a long and heart-breaking process: especially if the ex-batts are very lacking in feathers.

we tried to integrate ours straight away (we had a week of work when they first arrived) but there was a lot of fighting and pecking.
not just from the originals trying to assert their authority, but from the ex-batts.  we even had to separate them from each other! it took about 3 or 4 months for them to be fully integrated, but we did it slowly, where they would liveon their own for the most part then join in the others for playtime around the garden (basically so they could stay away from each other whilst being in the same area)

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 11:33 »
As Joy said  that's why their EXbatts. They have finnished their productive life as regards egg laying, so ANY egg you get off them is a bonus.
  We had  4, one died in days of comming home but the other 3 are just brill, and every now and then we get a full production day, but not often.  We got ours to give them some sort of quality of life before they die, and boy do they enjoy life. Always the last to go to bed, always the first up in the morning :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 16:28 by Roll Roll »
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 15:53 »
They're making the most of seeing the outside world - as they have 18 lost months to catch up on  :D

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 18:10 »
ppl say ex batts get exhausted which they probably do , but if the birds are happy an well kept then theres no reason on why they cant carry on laying . i thought mine would not lay hardly at all but they all do their best to lay at least 12 eggs out of the 15 ex batts so for me i would say they are very happy .

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 18:14 »
even if they did take to hiding them for a while  :lol: :lol:

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 18:24 »
do u mean the time my girls hid all those eggs under the shed  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i will never forgive them for that .

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 19:11 »
Hid the eggs under your shed? sounds like there is a story there that I missed! :)
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

karlooben

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 20:32 »
yes there was  :lol:. i thought my adult ex batts had slowed right down on laying so i brought 6 babies . one afternoon a friends kid wass walking round the run an he shouted out look at that egg under  the shed , i was like theres no eggs under there the guirls cant get under it . we looked closed an there was about 8 eggs so a friend of mine jacked up the shed an we found 36 eggs . i can safely say the base of the shed is well and truly blocked of  :lol: :lol:

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 20:43 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 33 queries.