Plastic greenhouse V polytunnel

• 7 Replies

Hayleynotts

• Experienced Member
Plastic greenhouse V polytunnel
« on: September 03, 2013, 19:46 »
I have a plastic greenhouse which is soon to be replaced by my new glass and aluminium greenhouse.  I'm also considering ordering a small polytunnel but part of me is wondering if the plastic greenhouse will do the same job?

Sparkyrog

Re: Plastic greenhouse V polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 21:19 »
I have a plastic greenhouse which is soon to be replaced by my new glass and aluminium greenhouse.  I'm also considering ordering a small polytunnel but part of me is wondering if the plastic greenhouse will do the same job?
Interesting question ! I see no reason why not ,but other's may know better  :)
I cook therefore I grow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 21:23 »
If the plastic greenhouse is the same size as a new polytunnel would be, then yes it would do the same job  ;)

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 21:33 »
But - a polytunnel has windows with mesh that will allow ventilation and will stop the sweating inside. I ended up leaving my zipper open and tied back on my plastic green / grow house because there was so much moisture in there.

I'm hoping for a real greenhouse with an automatic vent based on the humidity for the allotment next year. If not I will go for a polytunnel - as found an economic one on ebay 

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 21:35 »
But - a polytunnel has windows with mesh that will allow ventilation and will stop the sweating inside. I ended up leaving my zipper open and tied back on my plastic green / grow house because there was so much moisture in there.

I'm hoping for a real greenhouse with an automatic vent based on the humidity for the allotment next year. If not I will go for a polytunnel - as found an economic one on ebay
I could be wrong Cadalot but I think vent openers work on heat not humidity .

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 21:41 »

I was thinking of a plastic greenhouse, with a window like the one I have (which is permanently open unless it is actually freezing weather)- but in anycase you could still leave the door open with some mesh over the opening  ;)

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 21:46 »
i'm not 100% sure if or how it works, but have heard that the tunnel shape of the poly tunnels makes them work as they do.

but if you have the plastic greenhouse anyway and the space i would use it, seems a waste not to. even if it's to experiment with things that are normally grown in hotter climates like melons. nothing to loose imo.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 23:18 »
Sounds to me like you need the next-size-up of glasshouse?  ;)

xx
New Plastic Greenhouse

Started by Tommy54321 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post February 18, 2021, 20:05
by Yorkie
xx
Advice re plastic greenhouse

Started by wellieboots on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 22:10
by wellieboots
xx
Re: in the Polytunnel and Greenhouse

Started by Whatalottie on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 12:01
by Green man
xx
Polytunnel vs greenhouse.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 00:54
by John

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 40 queries.