Two downsizes and a disaster...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

Two downsizes and a disaster...
« on: March 03, 2021, 05:10 »
Downsize No 1...

A few years ago, we bought a big self-propelled petrol mower, as we had something like 150 s.y. of allotment paths and side areas to mow, and most of it was on a slope! It was a Webb, with a fabulous Briggs and Stratton engine, and very powerful - such that I could 'drive' it home (also uphill), after each session! Then it had to tackle the lawns at home as well as the wide verge outside, so it was kept pretty busy and never let me down!

But now 'The Patch' is being used by someone else, there's only the home stuff to do, and most of it is with wiggly edges! The dear old Webb really had to go, as it hardly got moving before the next bend! So, a quick sale to a local mower engineer, whom we know well (Ebay would have meant me cleaning it all to sparkling condition, then being asked to deliver it to Darlington or somewhere), and an evening on the net, and 'The Turrets' took delivery of a gorgeous little rechargeable Flymo just the other day!

Of course, it needed a trial run yesterday, and the dear little chap just waltzed through the whole lot in just over 40 mins, which is only a little more than the time it used to take with the biggun! Usually, a first mow at this year is a bit of a 'burglar', with lots of leaves everywhere, but all in all, it seems to be just fine!

Downsize No 2...

'The Turrets' has been blessed with a fabulous wistaria, which is at least 150 years old, and when we moved here, it covered two whole walls of the house! This had to change over the years, but we kept as much as we could and we just love it, despite the blooms ending up everywhere in the house in the spring, and ditto the leaves in the autumn!

And Growster has to prune it...

As anybody here knows, these shrubs take no prisoners; they'll go for the throat with their stainless steel tentacles as soon as look at you! In the past, a bit of ladder work was a doddle, even 20' up, but a graunched knee this year has had other repercussions... No high ladder work for the foreseeable future, and a wistaria getting all 'fruity' as it does around now!

So, another hour or so on the net has come up with a solution, which is a lightweight high tree pruner, which looks like a space gun, but should do the business! I should now be able to do the job firmly on the ground, and Mrs Growster won't have palpitations every time I go up the ladder (I almost fell off one year, and she's never forgiven me..:0~) The new kit arrives later this week, and I'll let you know how it gets on!

And the 'disaster', you scream?

Well, during Monday night, I designed (in my head), some long loppers for the second 'wistaria' job, using some aluminium poles and a few jubilee clips etc. After an hour or so in the shed, and a couple of dry-runs, I'd broken some cheap secateurs (free with a packet of cornflakes), cracked the handle of my own lovely pair (easily mendable), and just gave up!

Downsizing isn't so bad, but I've spent all my pocket money for the rest of the year now...:0~

snowdrops

Re: Two downsizes and a disaster...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 08:08 »
Very interesting read, particularly the mower downsize as we have a petrol mower we were given by a chap & hubby reconditioned it, I could start it but I find it very heavy to manoeuvre around our small grassed area ( I hesitate to call it lawn) plus we have a raised grass area up 2 steps . Now hubby on the whole cuts the grass now he is retired but not as often as I would like. I’ve been considering a rechargeable mower, particularly as the beast was playing up again last year & hubby is losing patience with it! Would you share the model number & where you bought it Mr G please?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 13:24 »
Like Snowdrop, I have a very small lawn as well.  I have a Bosch Rotak 32R.  Also, I have two steps from lawn to shed.   The Bosch was purchased because of the weight, just 6.5 kgms.   During the nice spell, I decided to take a top cut.   Half way through mower packed up  >:(.   Son in Law, looked and said the motor had burned out.   I looked at hands-free self-docking mowers, lovely if you can afford it.  Then I looked at battery operated, but again the weight was too much.  On Monday at about 2pm I ordered a new Bosch, as before.  It arrived on Tuesday (yesterday) at 8.30.    How brilliant is that for service.  Neighbours assembled it.  I took it down and plugged into the usual  outdoor special plug.  Guess what, it didn't work.   Plugged into special outdoor plug in g/house and it worked :D.     Neighbor said, the plug will have gone when mower stopped, althought it show the red light.      Now I wonder have I bought a mower for nothing, was it the plug all the time   !!!     I am becoming convinced that things are conspiring against me  ::)
But the old mower did need a new blade anyway, and I have now got the grass cut before todays rain.
Sorry, Growster to hear about your customised wisteria lopper. ;)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 14:18 »
Very interesting read, particularly the mower downsize as we have a petrol mower we were given by a chap & hubby reconditioned it, I could start it but I find it very heavy to manoeuvre around our small grassed area ( I hesitate to call it lawn) plus we have a raised grass area up 2 steps . Now hubby on the whole cuts the grass now he is retired but not as often as I would like. I’ve been considering a rechargeable mower, particularly as the beast was playing up again last year & hubby is losing patience with it! Would you share the model number & where you bought it Mr G please?

I see your problem, Snows! It's the same as ours, so our answer was as above...

It's a 'Flymo EasiStore 300R Li Cordless Rotary Lawn Mower - 40 V Battery (20 V x 2 Including Charger), 30 cm Cutting Width, 30 Litre Grass Box, Close Edge Cutting, Rear Roller, Space Saving Storage Features' etc, and cost £230.00 on Amazon (reduced from £264). I put the forty quid we got from our local chum against that it, so we now have a mower at under £200.00. (Cut and paste the description, and you should get to it right away).

Assembly is a doddle, and charging takes a couple of hours (I haven't checked that accurately), but it went for well over half an hour easily! The box is very easy to slot on, it moves at the flick of a finger, and you have to grasp the handle to keep it whirring, although I suspect you would do that anyway, if your lawn is like ours - smallish, compact, and bits of tree, hedge etc to get around! The handle has several heights, and there are three mowing settings, which you have to alter from the underside. See what you think! It was delivered within 24 hrs, and NOT on Prime!

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 14:22 »
Sorry to hear that, Mrs B! I used to have a corded hover Flymo, and it went for several years, then just sighed and died one day...

Batteries are so much better these days, and for a half-hour job, are probably worth it, but of course they cost more! Is your outdoor plug 'tripped' in any way?

The aerial lopper was consigned to history, and the new kit has to arrive soon, as the wistaria is starting to bud and get the hump!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 14:23 by Growster... »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 15:57 »
It takes between 5 to 10 minutes to cut my grass.   What takes the time is doing the edges, only shears on mine, even been known to use the garden scissors  :D   I didn't mind paying out for battery type, but it was simply too heavy.   'Sppose, I shall have to get the plug checked now.  Mrs B

jezza

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 20:36 »
Hello have you looked at Wolf garden they do a  telescopic pole  that goes to 13 feet with lopper attachment   jezza

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 07:06 »
Mrs B, when you can, maybe get to a B and Q and just try standing at a newer lightweight mower first, then weigh up the pros and cons as if you're actually using the kit. I had to do this with a hedge trimmer for similar reasons to you, and bought the lightest - and it was fine!

The new Flymo is on wheels, so does what you tell it to! For a small flat lawn, I suspect it would be fine as it weighs about 10kg (25lb, but when you have the handles on it, it's dead easy to manoeuvre, and while I can fold it up to store like a tall suitcase, you may not need to at the moment.

As for edges, I agree that long handled shears are the best on the wiggly edges we have (hate straight lines), and I usually just leave the cut bits where they are to rot down in a few days.

Jezza thanks, yes I saw that, but I really don't need to go that high now (I might have done in 1990, when the stuff was on the roof as well)!

xx
This weekends Disaster

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2018, 14:57
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 44 queries.