Bird watch

• 142 Replies

wighty

Re: Bird watch
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2021, 19:47 »
We drive up the 'Milly' (Military Road) along the west coast of the Island every day, we always slow down in one particular area so we can look out for the buzzard sitting on a fence post.  We are rarely disappointed.   I've been as close as two feet to him/her albeit from inside our van.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2021, 13:22 »
Thats fantastic.  I can see a pair flying high over me, but as near as I get is with the binoculars.  Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2021, 20:26 »
Here is a couple of photo's of a Starling visiting my new bird table....
Starling-001-9018.jpg
Starling-002-9030.jpg
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 20:34 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2021, 12:36 »
My poor birds have got bent beaks, they keep coming down to the water tray, which is frozen.   I keep going down and clearing and putting out fresh, then I guess they are nervous and wont come back.  ::)  I can only do my best.   Mrs Bouquet

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2021, 15:49 »
Two robins feeding on the bird table today, guessing must be a pair as not fighting or chasing each other off ! I'm told its hard to tell difference between male and female robins, same with goldfinches.

Not much action at my feeding stations for a while now, used to fill up every 3 or 4 days, its now about every ten, not sure if they've been spooked by cats or something, because I thought there would be more feeding on cold days. Anyone else noticed a difference?

Debz

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2021, 11:31 »
My children got the stick on window feeders for part of their Christmas.  The starlings have discovered the food and they make an incredible noise with their feet as they land to eat.  A couple of blue tits and great tits have also found the supply but the biggest joy is the scatter food I put out in the morning.  I lose count of how many birds feed on the grass. 

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2021, 12:01 »
We're lucky to have a few buzzards living in a wood a couple of miles away and it is always pleasant to see them wheeling and hear them calling in the summer sky.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mrs bouquet

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2021, 12:24 »
My little feathered friends have got the message and came down today after I emptied out the ice and topped up.       Busy in the garden today.   Blue tits, pecking on the old gnarled trunk of the grapevine.  A couple of sparrows fighting over a fluffy feather on the grass.  Blackbirds, wood pigeons and the cheeky little robin.
There are a pair of buzzards that circle overhead, they are huge.    All lovely to see.    Mrs B

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2021, 18:56 »
I witnessed one of those 'wild kingdom' moments, just a few minutes ago.  I was drawn to the calling of one of our resident red-shouldered hawks, up in a pine tree.  Under it's call, was the scream of a small less fortunate creature (I'll leave the rest to your imagination . . . move along  :ohmy:).

Every creature has to eat.  And feed it's babies, which are in a nest in one of the nearby trees.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2021, 19:35 »
I just spotted the first hummingbird of the year in my garden!

She is about three weeks earlier than the first one last spring. I promptly filled and set out a hummingbird feeder for her (based on the plumage, definitely a female).

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2021, 20:48 »
Heard the cuckoo for the first time this year whilst walking the dog.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2021, 20:53 »
Blackbird is building a nest in the hedge behind the greenhouse. She doesn't mind me when I'm inside it, but doesn't like it when I'm out in the garden  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2021, 17:34 »
Since I no longer have my mother’s cats I’ve started feeding the birds again, I’ve had the feeder in a few places & now seem to have found the place the birds are comfortable with  :D and I can still reach it to fill it, they’re not yet eating me out of house & home, but recently I’ve spotted 1 or 2 robins, a starling,a bluetit & couple of blackbirds or so I thought but my neighbour informs me that the one that has a few white feathers on its neck is called something else a something wurzel or something like that, you might know ?
Plus we keep getting a little wren flitting down to the pond edge & disappearing under a plant a few times a day.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2021, 15:43 »
Since I no longer have my mother’s cats I’ve started feeding the birds again, I’ve had the feeder in a few places & now seem to have found the place the birds are comfortable with  :D and I can still reach it to fill it, they’re not yet eating me out of house & home, but recently I’ve spotted 1 or 2 robins, a starling,a bluetit & couple of blackbirds or so I thought but my neighbour informs me that the one that has a few white feathers on its neck is called something else a something wurzel or something like that, you might know ?
Plus we keep getting a little wren flitting down to the pond edge & disappearing under a plant a few times a day.

The "wurzel" is in fact a Ring Ouzel. They are a species of the Thrushes (Turdidae) family as per the Blackbird. They do not feed at bird tables. Currently, Ring Ouzels are migrating through Britain to their moorland breeding grounds. The black bird with the white feathers is a leucism Blackbird. 

Edit to clarify quote 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 10:17 by New shoot »

snowdrops

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2021, 16:16 »
Gloucester Boy, thank you so much, I spoke to my neighbour again & got the correct name from him for tge ring ouzel & looked it up & as you say it's not one of those, also thank you for the correct identification. Of course I’ve not seen it since  :lol:

xx
Great British Bird Watch 2024

Started by Ali T on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post January 29, 2024, 16:54
by mrs bouquet
xx
Watch out for the con men

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post April 29, 2020, 15:08
by Growster...
xx
What am I supposed to watch on the TV?

Started by wighty on Chatting on the Plot

54 Replies
Last post October 13, 2020, 12:12
by mrs bouquet
xx
Interesting watch from BBC4

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2018, 11:30
by JayG

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 55 queries.