Brassica help please

• 2 Replies

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
Brassica help please
« on: May 14, 2013, 16:28 »
Hi,

I'm not any good with brassicas  :(  Tried to grow them a few times at home in the garden without much success.
I've tried cabbage, cauli, Brussels, Kale, swede, broccoli and PSB.  The only real success was the PSB this year, grown in a netted raised bed.

I have managed to grow some seedlings of each of the above again this year (2nd attempt as the first lot died) and I am preparing a bed for them on my new allotment this year  :)

I would appreciate any advise on how best to improve the newly dug soil for them.  I am going to tread it firm once the digging is finished.  I can't add manure as it's too fresh and still rotting down, haven't got an awful lot of garden compost and bought stuff will work out too expensive.  I have poultry manure pellets and blood fish and bone.

If I just plant in the soil I'v inherited (clay), what are my chances of success this year?

Totty

Re: Brassica help please
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 16:51 »
Clay based soil is full of nutrients and firm by its nature, add some BFB when planting and top dress with the pellets through the season and all should be well.

Totty

fatcat1955

Re: Brassica help please
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 16:56 »
Brassica's prefer really hard nearly compacted soil. As you have dug a new bed for them, dib a hole deep enough that the plant go's in nearly up to the first leaves. Then puddle them in in and when the water has drained really firm them in. Don't be afraid to use your boot. Cover them with very fine netting and water when we have had a dry spell say every 7 day's.

xx
PH for Brassica bed

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 00:20
by Lenny59
xx
brassica bed

Started by bright lights on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2008, 12:31
by Stripey_cat
xx
brassica's

Started by den1416 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:11
by Yorkie
xx
BRASSICA

Started by andyindevon on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 19:36
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 32 queries.