mites

• 2 Replies

sundancejim

mites
« on: September 05, 2011, 18:06 »
hi all, just wondered after discovering mites yet again in my coop >:( wot people see as the best treatment! im dusting my hens and coop with red mite powder, would a spray be better??  also i have a large conifer tree  which my henhouse and run are built around is this the problem? im thinking of useing a smoke bomb in the coop, any ideas and advice would be good. many thanks. jim.  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: mites
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 18:17 »
Thoroughly clean the coop out and either burn the bedding or dispose of it in the dustbin - do not compost it as they will simply climb out. Spray the coop with poultry shield or another red mite treatment that is licenced for backyard poultry keepers such as smite professional (do not be fooled by the title as this is ok to use for backyard poultry keepers) or Harkers Mitex (we cannot recommend those that are for professional use only).
Then either dust with diatom or a diatom paste. Repeat evcery 4 or 5 days until your coop is clean and repeat periodically to keep it clear.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ste23

Re: mites
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 20:45 »
we had a very bad infestion of red mite we used diatom nown as smite mix to a paste and paint inside and out side the coop and every knook and cranny , and change the bedding day i sprinkled some diatom in with the new bedding  it took us less than a fortnight to get rid good luck

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
mites!

Started by Tartuffe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 17:41
by Tartuffe
xx
mites

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 09, 2007, 23:11
by agapanthus
xx
mites

Started by samuria on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2014, 10:50
by Sassy

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 39 queries.