Glad's in sick bay again

• 6 Replies

Foghorn-Leghorn

Glad's in sick bay again
« on: September 13, 2011, 19:16 »
Poor Gladys our white leghorn type hybrid is back in sick bay with bumblefoot again  :(

She does seem rather prone to it (this is her 3rd bout) and we've said if she gets it again there will have to be hard decisions made as it's not fair on her to keep being dosed up with antibiotics.

I'm not really attached to our other chooks as they're not true pets but Glad is a bit of an exception and we've decided she can live out her days as a "garden chicken" with Poulet our little black Silkie if she recovers okay, rather than being returned to the chicken enclosure.

She seems quite keen on the whole idea as she's coping with having the funky coloured bandages on again and is still laying every day (typical when the eggs have to be binned!) and is very perky - and pecky when O/H goes to collect the egg!
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Glad's in sick bay again
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 16:47 »
Sorry to hear your sad news but she is being well looked after.  If you take her off layers pellets wouldn't she stop laying while she is in the sick bay?
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 17:28 »
I'm not sure if she would still lay - I guess it's what her body is programmed to do - but there would be the chance of soft shells.  I don't know, it's not something I'd even considered, doh!  :blink:

Perhaps someone could advise?

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 21:34 »
Hi FL
One of mine had bumblefoot a month or so ago. I cleaned it up and put an improvised 'sock' on her foot, kept her in the sick bay for a few days and gave her baytril at .8ml a day. She got better... and about 10 days later it came back.

So, took her to the vet (mines relatively cheap thank goodness) who cut and drained the bumble 'lump'. She gave me baytril at 1.6ml a day and also some aloe vera handwash. Told me not to cover the foot, just wash her foot in the aloe vera (gave it a few mins soak in a jam jar) 2-3 a day. Did this for 3 days (fortunately was off work) and it hasn't come back.

Don't know whether it was the higher dose of anti-b's, the aloe vera/washing or the draining of the infection... or may be a combination.

Hope this helps.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 17:34 »
We've cut out the bumbles and drained the infection (chicken pus is vile, vile stuff) and we just put a dressing on as she has a habit of paddling in her own poo  :nowink:

Thank you for the info though, if nothing else it backs up what we're doing re the antibiotics and keeping her feet drained.

She's such a good little bird though as she just lays on her side whilst we "operate" - I have promised this is the last time though, I don't like putting myself through it, let alone Glad!

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 19:36 »
We've cut out the bumbles and drained the infection (chicken pus is vile, vile stuff) and we just put a dressing on as she has a habit of paddling in her own poo  :nowink:

Thank you for the info though, if nothing else it backs up what we're doing re the antibiotics and keeping her feet drained.

She's such a good little bird though as she just lays on her side whilst we "operate" - I have promised this is the last time though, I don't like putting myself through it, let alone Glad!

I know exactly how you feel, and isnt it amazing that chooks let you do that to their feet without moaning. I remember when I had to do Monty night and morning and he was such a heavy boy, I also had to do it alone as OH is very squeamish indeed! I do hope she makes a full recovery. Bumblefoot is just horrible. Good Luck!!

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 20:19 »

I know exactly how you feel, and isnt it amazing that chooks let you do that to their feet without moaning. I remember when I had to do Monty night and morning and he was such a heavy boy, I also had to do it alone as OH is very squeamish indeed! I do hope she makes a full recovery. Bumblefoot is just horrible. Good Luck!!

Oh I remember poor Monty and his bad foot/leg - trying times indeed.

Fingers crossed Gladys makes a full recovery and stays recovered this time.  I'm hoping being in the garden and on more grass, etc rather than in the run will help her....

xx
Glad of your company!

Started by Poolfield2 on The Hen House

48 Replies
Last post December 04, 2008, 21:04
by Evansent
xx
I'm glad to be back

Started by betty on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 12, 2009, 15:55
by betty
xx
glad i am here need advice please

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 19:20
by karlooben
xx
Help... I have a sick hen

Started by betty on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 05:05
by nnbreeder

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 33 queries.