New chickens

• 5 Replies

thechicken

New chickens
« on: April 28, 2013, 07:36 »
Following the death of one of our 2 chickens we have 2 more arriving today.

Would appreciate any ideas on the best way to integrate. We only have one coop and the chicken has the full run of the garden.

Thanks

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
Re: New chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 13:29 »
Hi , As you only have one coop i would wait till its dark and then put the two new hens in the coop .
Im sure one of the more experienced keepers will advice though .
good luck 
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 17:48 »
My friend is a farmer and i asked him the same question when i got my 2 new girls and he told me to put them all together,there would be a bit falling out but it would pass after a couple of days.I did and there was a bit of pecking but nothing to bad and after a couple of days everybody where friends perfect,
Pull up a perch!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 19:43 »
As others have said, putting them in the coop after dark is a good idea.  Let them out early and make sure they have more than one feeder and drinker.  If they have the run of the garden there shouldn't be a problem of any being cornered.  Only intervene if blood is drawn or they are not able to feed and drink.  Cuts can be treated with wound powder or as an emergency use cornflour.  Purple spray can also be used but if the cuts are on the head use a cotton bud/cotton wool ball to apply so as so avoid the eyes.  If you distract them with a few treats scattered around it should help.  Hopefully they will soon be friends but remember it is normal for them to have a pecking order.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

thechicken

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 07:49 »
Many thanks for all your help.

Very traumatic day with the new arrivals fighting amongst thmeselves drawing blood etc - this was before we introduced ours. So after building a new temporary coop and run for them and no improvement we decided to cut our losses and took them back. One of them had scaly leg to die for - prior to taking her back we treated her but doubt if it would have any affect.

When we took them back we were told that one of them had attacked the cock and he had to remove him so what chance did we have! He insisted we took another as it was not fair to have one on her own - she has no leg problems and looked a lot more placid and low and behold she settled in like a dream and they were friends in minutes. We did spray her legs as a prevention though.

Last night we had to put her in the coop as she had roosted on top - no worries she jumped straight up on to the perch next to the other - lets see what happens later!!   

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 11:26 »
That is really naughty of the breeder.  Well done in recognising the problems, treating her and taking her back.  I think if I had scaly leg mites I would be really aggressive too, it must drive her nuts.   >:(

Good luck with your new girls.   ;)

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
new to chickens need a little help

Started by daz on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 13:32
by daz

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 39 queries.