Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
New Hive (Kit)
« on: February 18, 2011, 13:52 »
MY HIVE HAS COME!
MY HIVE HAS COME!
MY HIVE HAS COME!

WOOOO!!  :D :D

Possibly I'm just a little bit excited. It's actually one of those self assembly jobs, so I thought I'd go for a dry run only to discover that not everything slots neatly into place. A little bit like life, really.

So, how to best approach? Carefully shave off too-thick lugs with chisel, (or OH's razor because the butter knife's never been the same since the day someone couldn't find the screwdriver,) or whack with a hammer?

Any ideas? All suggestions welcome as long as they are physically possible and legal. (Not provable will do.) ::)

Pertelotte

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New Hive (Kit)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 13:56 »
gently shave a little off at a time (whereas I would normally go in like a bull in a china shop and take too much off  ::)).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 14:49 »
You could use sandpaper
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 19:50 »
have you got any pics?

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 06:53 »
Which hive did you get Pertelotte ?

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 21:00 »
Hi.

Have been fighting The Hive. Hive currently winning.

Hive is a National with a posh gable roof (now on slight incline) and stand. I can only hope my beekeeping is better than my carpentry. Pics to follow as soon as fingertips  stop feeling like throbbing golf balls and hive finished. Hammer used to show hive who's boss (hive) and bang in tacks etc. Hammer appears to enjoy banging soft pink things holding said tacks etc. Soft pink things now tender and not so pink. Oh, got extra big brood box as want to impress bees with capacious accommodation. Hope they work out what the rooms upstairs are for.

Got a smoker to impress bees that they are dealing with a pro. Played with smoker - goes like a bomb, but not so keen on going out. OH coming home went straight out again to chippie. Bless him.

Thank you for your interest - watch this space, as they say. Now, what did the cat do with the frames and foundation...?

Pertelotte x

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 21:10 »
this might be a daft question but where do you get the bees from?

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 21:44 »
Very good question.

I'm on the swarm list with my local BKA and a neighbour - who I got into beekeeping earlier - has offered to give me some of his should there be some spare.

Alternatively, there's always the internet.

I'm not too fussed at the mo: I've wanted bees for yonks and have only just got the hive despite doing the course oodles ago. (Something about the cost.) I have a place to put the hive (long term) but I've only just planted the edible hedge which will obscure sight of my darlings from the world.  ???

I also want to get any complaints about my bees done and dusted before they arrive. Certain individuals lodged complaints about my 'cockerels' crowing. Presumably the egg laying ones! I know it sounds mean, but an empty hive can act as a lure for any spite before the bees arrive, to let them live in peace.  :tongue2:

Pertelotte

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 11:51 »
Piccie  as promised.
Hive.jpg

xx
My new Bee Hive:)

Started by Guzzik on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 23:17
by Guzzik
smiley
sorry I've BEEn away so long - HIVE been busy!

Started by SnooziSuzi on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 21:59
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Warre Hive Pictures - swarm wanted

Started by Swing Swang on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 11, 2012, 21:57
by Swing Swang
xx
Bumble bee "Hive"

Started by Ruby Red on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 17:27
by Babstreefern

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 32 queries.