Advice re Bees plees

• 19 Replies

Snoop

Re: Advice re Bees plees
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 18:10 »
Anyway, she's been doing some research, and has read that you have to clip the wings of the queen in order to prevent swarms?

For a start, you have to know something about bees in order to be able to identify the queen, so I think your sister would be pretty well scuppered if she decided to set out with a pair of scissors to do the deed.  Jim will maybe have some views on whether it's a good idea. Sounds to me like a bizarre thing to want to do: beekeepers round here aren't unhappy about swarms, so long as they can catch them. Free bees for a new hive effectively.

Your sister definitely needs to get in touch with her local beekeeping association and go on a course. She needs to meet other beekeepers and get to see a hive in action to decide.

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 22:13 »
Hi I am Mrs LMPD
I did a really basic Interested in BeeKeeping course run by our local enviroment trust (not a full course)
I was about 50:50 about keeping bees - now much less scared and more interested
Yes you will get stung, but there also seems to be lots people willing to help you - If I go ahead joining the local assosciation and doing te proper course will be top of my list.  The time commitment doesnt seem too great either and no bees are harmed either
So if all works out I think I will go for it next spring
The best advice was AWAYS wear wellies!!!

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 22:33 »
Just been doing my swarm prevention this evening, which has resulted in 3 new hives of bees for me :D

A healthy and strong hive will always develop to a point that they "out grow" their location, be that a wooden hive or tree stump.

You can not stop swarming, but you can try to work with the bees to reduce or mange swarming.

Clipping of queens wings is one way, but the hive can still swarm and you can loose both the queen and half your colony.

it is quite 50:50 over clipping of queens wings, I do not do it, I feel my others ways allow me the time to be proactive in the swarm instinct.

And in my case, utilising it to create new and additional hives of bees (colonies)

Beekeeping is probably the most (dare I use the word) advanced of the small holding live stock to keep.

I mean since when did you see a swarm of pigs fly off, or your chickens sting to death a person :ohmy:

Bees know what they are doing, but as a keeper you need to read the signs, and try and be a step ahead or it is VERY easy to get caught out and you newly bought at great expense colony will all be gone by late August.

Incidentally this time of year is a good time to take advantage of less proactive beekeepers misfortune, and catch one of their lost swarms in a "bait hive" 8)

As side, bees swarm unless you manage them, they need to find a new location and before they swarm the Scout bee will be looking for a new one. You can attract them in with ideally an empty hive, with some foundation frames and s swarm lure, which lemon grass oil works well, along with just the smell of the bees wax..

Best to get a “bee buddy” someone that has been doing it for at least 2 seasons, read up about it on the likes of www.beekeepingforum.co.uk and try and contact your local beekeepers

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 22:36 »
.  The time commitment doesnt seem too great either and no bees are harmed either

The best advice was AWAYS wear wellies!!!

Now is about the busiest time for beekeeping, requiring about 15 mins per hive every 7 days.

I am sorry but bees do get harmed (not intentionally) it is ALMOST impossible not to squash bees when handling frames, hive components.

Wells are good and steel toed caped is better in case you drop a brood or super box on you foot.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 09:13 »
Thanks for all of this.  Clearly there is a lot more to beekeeping than one might imagine.  I have a feeling she may be having 2nd thoughts, but will encourage her to go on a course.  It's what I did when I started with chooks.

Thanks very much for your help.

xx
Advice regarding a bees nest please

Started by Grecian Gardener on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 19:52
by Grecian Gardener
xx
Thinking of keeping bees, any advice?

Started by rileyfin on Pets without Feathers

17 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 08:35
by Mickle
xx
My Bees are in

Started by kevinp on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 11:33
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
i want to get some bees

Started by joshbuchan on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 20:34
by joshbuchan

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 35 queries.