Shark fin melon!

• 20 Replies

A. Fallowfield

Shark fin melon!
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:35 »
Our plots Chinese family gave me some seeds for spaghetti marrow (I shall eat that with all sorts), but sharks fin, you just can't stop them growing! Short of trying to ingratiation myself with all the take-aways in town, what do i do with them? Reasonably polite answers please! ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Shark fin melon!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 13:09 »
I'm intrigued  :D  Are they melons or more cuke like and do you have to cook them ?  I'm up for a seed swap either way  ;)

If they are cuke like, could you pickle them ?

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 14:10 »
I'm intrigued  :D  Are they melons or more cuke like and do you have to cook them ?  I'm up for a seed swap either way  ;)

If they are cuke like, could you pickle them ?

Spaghetti marrow is easy, the cooked flesh comes out like spaghetti and can be used as spag bol, or whatever!
Sharks fin melon is more often used as an oriental soup, see:
http://www.malaysiabest.net/2006/04/22/recipe-winter-melon-soup-chinese/
Don't really fancy that, but I should have lots of seeds so I'll post when I have!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 14:57 »
Having done a google search on Chinese Winter Melon, seems it's main value is that it stores really well like a winter squash once its grown a waxy skin and picks up flavours really easily when cooked, especially meat flavours.

I reckon you could almost use it like turnip in a stew, which does much the same job.  Would probably be good in curry or chilli.  I like oriental type soups, so I'm thinking chicken noodle soup with winter melon, but a more western chicken & veg soup would work as well  :)

I'm a sucker for any novelties so I'll take you up on the seeds please.  Let me know nearer the time and I'll what I have to offer as swapsies  :D

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 16:59 »
Hi A.Fallowfield.

I also have a sharks fin melon thread running having planted them for the first time this year.

I planted 2 inside and 2 outside as an experiment.  I am intrigued and impressed with your growing frame.  They look lovely and healthy.  i think growing them up looks good, mine a scrabbling along the ground and a couple of the baby fruit went yellow and rotted off - I don't think they like being on the ground and just got too wet.

Are you letting them grow and grow or are you going to pinch out the growing tips at any point?  My indoor ones are taking over my poor cukes and tommies like the ravenous red weed in War of the Worlds!!  :ohmy:

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 22:28 »
Hi A.Fallowfield.

I also have a sharks fin melon thread running having planted them for the first time this year.

I planted 2 inside and 2 outside as an experiment.  I am intrigued and impressed with your growing frame.  They look lovely and healthy.  i think growing them up looks good, mine a scrabbling along the ground and a couple of the baby fruit went yellow and rotted off - I don't think they like being on the ground and just got too wet.

Are you letting them grow and grow or are you going to pinch out the growing tips at any point?  My indoor ones are taking over my poor cukes and tommies like the ravenous red weed in War of the Worlds!!  :ohmy:

I copied the Chinese family two plots down; they have a frame either end of their plot! They gave me the seeds.
Last year theirs reached into a tree and went half way up it! :ohmy:
As mine try to escape I chop them, but the Chinese do not approve, saying the melons will grow too fast!

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 23:17 »
Reminded of the film 'Grow Your Own'...

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 12:01 »
As mine try to escape I chop them, but the Chinese do not approve, saying the melons will grow too fast!

Ah so you chop off the growing tips? I may have to do this at some point, they are pretty vigorous aren't they? I'm thinking we've made a classic booboo planting them close to other stuff.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 12:56 »
That is an amazing structure! Have they grown up that themselves or did you have to 'encourage' them? It looks great!

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 19:47 »
That is an amazing structure! Have they grown up that themselves or did you have to 'encourage' them? It looks great!

A bit of training and that bendy stuff! Once they get a hold it's quite a grip! :ohmy:

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 09:50 »
Hey, A.F.

We came back from a week away to find that the 'lunatics have taken over the asylum' - or, the melon is taking over the polytunnel!!!

I am now chopping off any growing tips I can find to contain it.

One question, I am finding a few of the fruit go yellow and seem to rot at the flower end - have you had this problem?  I'm wondering if the condensation from the poly dripping onto the fruit is rotting it.

How big are your s.f. melons??

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 16:29 »
d4v, how big are the ones which are rotting off?  Are you sure that they are being pollinated, as in some plants it's a sign of lack of pollination.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 18:52 »
Hey, A.F.

We came back from a week away to find that the 'lunatics have taken over the asylum' - or, the melon is taking over the polytunnel!!!

I am now chopping off any growing tips I can find to contain it.

One question, I am finding a few of the fruit go yellow and seem to rot at the flower end - have you had this problem?  I'm wondering if the condensation from the poly dripping onto the fruit is rotting it.

How big are your s.f. melons??

Quite a few of mine have rotted at the four inch stage, not sure why. niether are my Chinese neighbours!
This is my biggest so far, I keep getting Chinese meals brought to me from one of their (the Chinese) friends who is waiting for it to get a little bigger!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 18:54 by Yorkie »

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 12:31 »
Thanks you two.

Well mine are indoors Yorkie but there are always lots of bees, wasps and other flower visiting buzzy things flying around in there, but maybe this is a factor.

WOW A.F. that melon is truely amazing mine aren't anywhere that big yet, what success.  If it doesn't happen for me this year, next I will def construct an outside frame like yours and have another go, they are amazing plants!  (Perhaps I can have some seed from you if you successfully harvest?)

Yes, around 4 inches is when mine are turning yellow and rotting  :(

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 18:58 »
I used one in a stir fry (not impressed) and took out the seeds, but they were yellow.
The seeds need to be black to be any good. I shall ask the lady to save me the seeds from that big one and leave a couple just for the seeds! 8)

xx
Shark Fin Melon

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 17:17
by scabs
xx
Unknown melon variety - if it's even a melon!

Started by Tinkerbell264 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 21:20
by 8doubles
xx
melon

Started by lentil987 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2006, 22:38
by Jerry
xx
Melon help please

Started by grinling on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 20:58
by grinling

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 29 queries.