New Toad Hall

• 7 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

New Toad Hall
« on: May 17, 2023, 09:31 »
A toad has taken up residence in my greenhouse. Heaven knows how it got in as there is quite a large step at the entrance. As temperatures in there reach the mid 40s, will it survive or should I evict it?

Goosegirl

Re: New Toad Hall
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 09:36 »
How lovely! If you leave the door open it should jump out if it gets too warm. Maybe put a shallow receptacle with some water for it and slugs - yah!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 14:40 »
For reasons I won't bore you with, it'd need to jump up 6" to get out of there which for a toad that can only crawl is a bit too much. In fact I've no idea how it came to be there and still in one piece as it must have fallen the same distance to get in there!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 19:04 »
I would just put a brick next to the entrance that it could use as a step.  Toads can climb quite well.  I have at least one each year move into my greenhouse and they climb up into pots standing on the floor, so they can make a little hole in the compost to sit in.  No idea why, but they always look very smug and comfy when they are in them  :)

jezza

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 03:58 »
Hello at the market garden I worked at we had a big toad that patrolled a green house 120feet ×110 feet there were never any slugs ,it use to be in a wet hole in a corner which the dog knew about and would nose the toad out and make it jump up the  length of the greenhouse turn it round and make it jump back to the wet hole,we use to make sure the toad was in the wet hole before cutting lettuce,if it wasn't there we looked for it or worked very cautiously till we found it,if we found slugs it had missed they were put on a plate for it near the wet hole    jezza

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 06:23 »
Marvellous!

We had a resident toad for years, and called him 'Toadlee', after the hackneyed term for 'totally'...

He sadly died last year after climbing into an empty flower pot, and couldn't get out! We were devastated:0(

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 08:40 »
Here's a pic of my lovely great niece with a toad that jumped on her. At first she was a bit worried then her face just lit up with delight.
Louisa with a toad (600 x 450).jpg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2023, 19:35 »
We get tree frogs or lizards in the garden more often than toads, but if it eats insects, slugs or snails, it is welcome.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 46 queries.