Peat based compost

• 15 Replies

jezza

Peat based compost
« on: September 03, 2022, 15:47 »
Hello I've just got a bag of proper compost ,non of the mixed rubbish ,Irosh sphagnum moss based with added nutrients    jezza

Growster...

Re: Peat based compost
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 18:14 »
Peat's out from next year so I've laid in four more bags of Jack's Magic, which will see us through.

They're using a clever marketing issue, saying that there is 'some' peat, but not that much...

Gardeners like all of us here use a tiny fraction of the stuff, but it seems that we'll have to make do with substitutes, no doubt carted in at great expense and on great big ships from all around the world!

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 17:37 »
thank god we can still get peat based compost we used that peat free tosh once this season and most of the bag went on the compost heap it was just absolute rubbish and I would go out my way to buy a peat based compost so its a good job we have a local G/C that sells peat based you can keep your peat free for me  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 19:23 »
thank god we can still get peat based compost we used that peat free tosh once this season and most of the bag went on the compost heap it was just absolute rubbish and I would go out my way to buy a peat based compost so its a good job we have a local G/C that sells peat based you can keep your peat free for me  :lol:

Perhaps yours was a ‘bad’ make but as of 2024 your going to have to get used to it unless you can lay enough stocks in or make your own. We had some issues with some I’d bought for our garden club store, but the company sent out their rep & they are replacing it all for us, even though not all of the 2 types had issues. He’s also going to come & give us a free talk on peat free composts but not as a sales pitch
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 17:01 »
I take your point snowdrops yes peat based could be a problem and I mite need to shop around it could be that I may need to buy it by the pallet rather than a couple of bags and that does seem a good idea that your compost supplier is making the effort to come and talk to you about peat free compost's  it would be most interesting to learn if the peat free can match the peat based for both quality and price some thing that would be of great interest to me as we tend use quite lot of compost in the season one way or another and I'm not against change I'm just looking for a compost that will deliver my growing needs weather it be peat based or peat free and one of the things that really gets my goat is when these so called professional gardeners on both the TV and garden mags keep harping on about  using peat free but they never say what the best peat free is  :mad: so its left in limbo what is the best buy peat free compost anyway enough of my ranting many thank for that info RW

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 10:12 »
Jezza, the peat police will be down on you like the proverbial "Ton o' bricks"! :lol:

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 16:57 »
well done Jezza that's what I like speak as you find say it as it is no hiding behind corners but of cause you mite have upset the environment nannies shame on you Jezza  :lol: :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 20:45 »
I have bought some peat free compost this year, but it was pretty claggy, which I think rotted more seeds than it needed to.  I have found it OK for potting on, particularly if you mix some John Innes in.  My gripe with it at this stage was that it would look wet on the surface, but was often dry underneath.  The John Innes helped a lot with that.

For indoor terrariums I mix coir block compost with various other stuff like orchid compost.  The coir is a light, moisture retentive compost on its own.  I am seriously considering buying bigger blocks for next year and making up my own seed compost with that and some additions.  I’ve seen various recipes mixing it with compost and perlite, plus all sorts of other things, including eco-friendly washing-up liquid to act as a re-wetting agent.  I need to research it more, but it must be a lighter, airier mix than the peat-free MP available  ???

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 08:58 »
it seems from what's been said and from personal us this peat free composts don't seem live up to our expectations  I didn't want  to faff about mixing composts I've used MP peat based compost just as it is straight from the bag no problems all I found wrong with peat based composts was some some of the brands  were  like sawdust so sorting out a proper brand was spot on and has been for several years now

you see my take on this I'm not being told i must use peat free for one reason or another because saying that to me is like showing a red rag to bull as I've already said if and if they can come up with a suitable alternative peat free compost without all the trash in it that's compatible in price then I'm sorted

but until that happens I stand my ground on this one should I bow down to the nannies I don't think so  but its all down to ones preference at the end of the day I want to use a compost that suits my needs when i sow seed or pot on I want something that will produce a good growing media because if things don't grow properly then I'm wasting my time and money growing it  I like veg gardening I suppose one could say it plays an important part of my life and we all know there's nothing like home grown veg so lets hope these compost manufactures can come up with a good MP compost I wish  :D

Longshanks

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 18:45 »
Blimey. I'm only really allowed to use peat free by the missus and that's been going on for years. And she has used it in the garden well before me.  I've never had a problem and just use what's available. So much for sustainability.

Agatha

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 19:55 »
Blimey. I'm only really allowed to use peat free by the missus and that's been going on for years. And she has used it in the garden well before me.  I've never had a problem and just use what's available. So much for sustainability.
I've been using it for years too - I wanted to have plenty of opportunity to get used to growing with it while I was still able to use peat-based compost as a backup.  It's all very well growing everything in peat-based now, but people will HAVE to make the change when it's phased out, so might as well start trying to learn new ways now.

Sylvagrow has been brilliant this year - seeds, cuttings and mature plants have all thrived.  I've mixed in a cheaper peat-free compost for some of the less fussy plants, purely to reduce cost, but otherwise, I've only had to add to it what I would add when using a peat-based compost (e.g. perlite, vermiculite, sand, gravel depending on what is going in it).  As long as they keep this kind of quality up, I'm not worried about peat-based composts vanishing.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2022, 17:41 »
I went to my local G/C  the other day and they still have plenty of peat based compost as another load had just been delivered  I told um I've had marvellous results using your peat based compost again this year please don't change to peat free they said they had sold more peat based this year than ever before I said quality sells its self how lucky I am :lol:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2022, 01:02 »
If you are interested, it really isn't too difficult to grow your own sphagnum moss, the live moss that eventually becomes peat after the moss dies and decays. You can skip the "dies and decays" part, and harvest, chop and dry the moss, and use it for many of the purposes where you would use peat.

I think many members here already know what live sphagnum looks like.  Here is a website that talks about how to grow it and use it, including for seed-starting or making potting soil: https://www.ruralsprout.com/sphagnum-moss/

My younger brother had an interest in Venus flytraps, sundews, pitcher plants and other carniverous bog plants when he was young.  He made a small bog garden, and used some dry sphagnum as the top layer of the bog garden. His container for that garden was a small child's wading pool, made of fiberglass.  The dry sphagnum he used was not sterilized, and contained enough sphagnum moss spores to start sphagnum growing without really trying much.  That is probably easier than all the steps in the link I provided.  I think his garden started with a layer of clean sand at the base, a layer of peat on top of that, topped by dried sphagnum.  From experience, you can skip the peat layer.  My brother drilled a small hole in the sidewall of the pool an inch or two from the top, to allow excess water to drain off.  This bog garden grew for many years, always producing sphagnum each year. You do need to keep a supply of high-quality, low solids water for the sphagnum, to get through dry spells.  Collected rain water is perfect.

I am passing this along, as someone mentioned a future ban on peat sales. This might present an alternative for you. Our sphagnum resources here are sufficiently renewable that there is no need for a ban.  AFAIK, nobody uses peat here to burn for energy/heat.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 05:18 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2022, 08:51 »
an interesting reply subversive plot and worth thinking about should it come to it and  I don't agree with burning peat for means of energy good reply RW

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2022, 13:54 »
I keep a plastic lidded tub of sphagnum moss in the shed for terrariums. It sits by the window, which doesn’t get a huge amount of light and quietly grows.

It was a pack of moss bought from a garden centre to use for lining hanging baskets and a bit of water and light saw it sprout into living moss. I just looked by chance and saw it was New Zealand moss, which is the long fronded one preferred for terrariums and sold for large amounts of dosh in little packs on line. I’ve now got a self sustaining lifetime supply for a few quid  :)

xx
Peat ban

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post December 29, 2023, 19:29
by snowdrops
xx
compost

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post November 27, 2021, 12:10
by Goosegirl
xx
Compost

Started by Hitwoman on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2020, 21:22
by polo71
xx
Where can I buy some compost? :(

Started by Spudsey on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2020, 19:44
by grinling

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 50 queries.