full steam a head

• 5 Replies

rowlandwells

full steam a head
« on: December 31, 2021, 08:25 »
 my daughter brought us a Christmas present for a trip on our local heritage steam railway including a drink of something and mince pies its only a short railway but nevertheless one of fond memories for my wife as her Dad spent many of his years working on that line when it was working line sadly nearly all the line has gone its been turned into a nature walk these days

but there has been much interest to re-open a stretch of line by the local steam heritage society and there still remains two tunnels [walking only] the level crossings and the signal boxes have long gone in those days the train  used to travel through picturesque countryside from Northampton to Market Harborough but then the beaching axe fell upon it and now its only memories of those steam trains  rumbling along those lost but not forgotten lines may be one day with both money and  the efforts and enthusiasm of the steam heritage society the line will be extended even more into the Northamptonshire countryside to be enjoyed by all

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: full steam a head
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 09:39 »
That sounds a real treat RW :)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 17:21 »
Fabulous, Rowland!

Around here, we have the line from Tenterden to Bodiam, and as it's owned by quite a rich bloke with a bit of clout, it will eventually get back to Robertsbridge (where it used to go before Beeching)!

There are a few people who don't want it which is surprising, but when they get permission to cross a major road, it'll be all systems go! I can easily remember the line working commercially back in the fifties!

https://kesr.org.uk/about/

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 19:59 »
We’ve got 2 steam railway lines near us one the Shackerstone line goes to Market Bosworth & the last time I went on that was to see the re interment of Richard the 3rd, & the other is the Great Central Railway & the last time I went on that was for a 5 or 7 course dinner evening which was fun. Thanks Rowlandwells for reminding me about them I must organise taking the grand children on them.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grinling

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 14:54 »
we have minature https://watermillfarm.net/KGLR/

but also a company in Metheringham which makes them  :D

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 18:34 »
I've bin on the GCR  snowdrops we also had dinner on the train we had a fabulous day there took my grandson with us I was intending to go back last year but because of this damn lock down we didn't get there but its on my things to do this year its a marvellous heritage railway well run and a very  good day out

I have heard about that line growster but that's about all I know Tenterden would that be Kent?
also think down there there's the watercress line?

I love visiting these heritage railways because it reminds me when my Dad and my father in law both worked on the railway My Dad on the Northampton to Rugby line practically all his working life and the father in law around twenty years on the Northampton to Market Harborough line

xx
So how full is your freezer...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post November 19, 2023, 17:44
by rowlandwells
xx
The Full Moon

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post July 15, 2019, 22:07
by mrs bouquet
xx
Coal shed now full - again...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post November 14, 2021, 13:59
by Aunt Sally
xx
Full size plot

Started by ches on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2019, 19:20
by Christine

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 42 queries.