A look at the cost of electricity - I wish I hadn't...

• 94 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: A look at the cost of electricity - I wish I hadn't...
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2022, 16:30 »
I take your point about the winter fuel payments New Shoot and it its something of a bonus to look forward to but its quickly eaten up when we need to keep warm over these cold winter months

now looking back when I was a shop steward when it come to discussing our yearly wage rise i can always remember my boss saying after much discussion there's a pot of money on the table what's on offer you can have it any witch way you want it but that's our final offer take it or leave it and we came away all satisfied with what we got

I think the same principle applies today there's a pot of money that's divided up to the NHS pensions social benefits and others required so how you do you determine who gets what and what's the priority spending  and lets face it .it must me earned through taxes and put in that pot  before it can be given

and yes we can blame the rise in the cost of living to the covid thing but there are other things that equally drive things up ?

its my opinion for what its worth things are going to get worse before they get better and that will happen sooner rather than later

Goosegirl

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2022, 11:56 »
I think the annual winter payment towards fuel has gone now unless you're on some sort of benefit.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2022, 13:26 »
I think the annual winter payment towards fuel has gone now unless you're on some sort of benefit.
Pensioners should get it automatically.
You will get your Winter Fuel Payment automatically (you do not need to claim) if you’re eligible and either:
get the State Pension
get another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit)
https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment

Growster...

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2022, 06:44 »
You're right, Mum, Mrs Growster and I get half each!

I'm wondering if the government will look at this for the fuel-hike issues, but there are so many variables, I guess it'll be a bit of a mish-mash anyway, and will be blasted in the press for ages...

...and ages...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2022, 08:49 »
Because I've always paid for my fuel by monthly direct debit, I've used the WF Payment for Christmas extras - family presents and food, etc.
I suppose this year's payment will really have to go towards just keeping warm, if the cost does rise by as much as expected  :ohmy:

Growster...

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2022, 09:07 »
That happened last year Mum, and we ordered extra fuel at a decent price, then used most of it up because of the lousy spring and summer!

Hey-ho, they get you one way or another...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2022, 18:42 »
I still think they (ie the government) should look at making an extra payment - along the lines of the WFP, but a special one triggered if prices do rocket up.  It also needs to be an automatic payment so there is no messing around claiming, or feeling embarrassed about asking for it. 

I know there is no money tree and everyone has their hand out, but people who have spent their whole lives contributing to society and are now on a fixed income are a priority to my mind.  It is a false economy not to do it - people will end up in hospital because they have been living in too cold a house.

Lardman

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2022, 19:48 »
I think they should drop the VAT off, if only as an emergency measure at the moment - instant, hassle free and unilateral. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2022, 11:59 »
Having opted for what seemed to be the 'least worst' option after my fixed price contract ended in January, I am now on the Standard Variable Rate tariff which means I am now paying about 1/3 more for both gas and electricity.

This morning OVO have advised what the new rates will be from 1st April when Ofgem raise the price cap - compared with my fixed price contract electricity will almost double, gas more than double per unit.  :ohmy:

The daily Standing Charge is also set to nearly double for electricity, with a smaller increase for gas.

These prices are only slightly lower than those I have been offered for fixed price contracts.  :(

The government's Energy Bills Rebate scheme will be of some assistance to some, but many will no doubt feel very anxious, especially this coming winter.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2022, 12:38 »
Shell emailed me last week, my DD will go up by about £60 pm.... 'gawd only knows' how high prices will go without Russian gas... which I presume will be what Mr Putin will do next  :unsure:

snowdrops

« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2022, 13:39 »
Shell emailed me last week, my DD will go up by about £60 pm.... 'gawd only knows' how high prices will go without Russian gas... which I presume will be what Mr Putin will do next  :unsure:

:ohmy: we had an email yesterday saying our overall energy price is estimated to rise £1001 per annum. Wouldn’t be so annoying if some bright spark had not made me wait 6years & 7months to get my state pension  :mad:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2022, 17:37 »

:ohmy: we had an email yesterday saying our overall energy price is estimated to rise £1001 per annum. Wouldn’t be so annoying if some bright spark had not made me wait 6years & 7months to get my state pension  :mad:

We only import under 5% of our gas from Russia, most of either comes from the North Sea, or in the form of liquefied gas from Quatar (probs the reason why they're doing the football thing there...)!

Now the UK has banned fracking, where we could have been self-reliant for over 100 years, we are stuck with these dwindling imports - it's madness!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2022, 13:41 »
I have recently been transferred to OVO from SSE.  They have told me my bill will increase by £1,000 pa.
They have just taken the first payment which is £141.    I don't ever have any heat on during the day, have stopped using my big de-humidifier and no longer turn on the little electric radiator in my cold kitchen.  My CH goes on at 4pm and off about 9 ish.   I only use my W/machine once a week and never the t/drier.  Most of my cooking is in the microwave for a few minutes.  My lap top is on for a few hours each day.  .   Apart from that I don't know what else I can do.     It really is over-the-top.  Hopefully I shall build up some credits in the summer.   Doomy and gloomy,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2022, 14:03 »
They will have estimated the next year based on last year's readings. Wasn't that when you were using a lot of electricity to dry out your kitchen floor?
Perhaps your actual use this year, will be less than their estimates, fingers crossed for you.

rowlandwells

« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2022, 17:59 »
I think we are definitely in for quite a shock for want of a better word when we see our electric charges that are bound to go up substantially over the next months and as said we mite be able to bank some of the summer credit [direct debit ] but I feel that will be far short of the cost of next winters fuel bill

and its really going to hit the low paid workers and the good old pensioners alike as seen the cost of motoring is going up as fuel prices rise at the pumps all the more reason to use your free bus pass and how long that will be free is any ones guess I think I mite have to get the bicycle back out the shed I' glad I never sold it  :D

it seems every time you go shopping things have gone up in price like most we shop with plastic but when the monthly bill comes through the door I always say what the hell did we spend all that on  :D

I think the only way we have saved on our home heating this winter is by burning logs that I collected when I was hedge cutting a couple of years ago and stored the wood to dry out it burns lovely as warm as coal so we can use less energy using the central heating

and of cause we are so reliant on buying fuel from other countries who can hype the price up when they feel like it things are definitely going to worse before they get better for fuel  food and most other things as transporting  goods is bound to rise and so it will drive everything ells up   

xx
Which is the more economical with electricity.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

19 Replies
Last post January 20, 2023, 11:46
by JayG
xx
cost of things

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2024, 19:42
by jaydig
xx
What does it cost for some one to cut the grass

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2018, 20:35
by LILLILEAF
xx
the cost of cough

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2020, 11:50
by WeavingGryphon

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 52 queries.