Mobile phone or Ipad

• 13 Replies

mrs bouquet

Mobile phone or Ipad
« on: May 31, 2021, 12:36 »
My old ipad died.   My mobile phone in an original very small fliptop , which is PAYG.
Got completely nagged at by visiting Son and D-in-L, telling me I am thoroughly selfish and obviously don;t care about communicating with 11 year old grandchildren.   (I had not seen them for 18 months)   They will not talk to me via my laptop because they don;t like it .   !!!!!  My mobile is purely for an emergency, like breaking down in car.   Ipad, I don't miss except to send you guys a picture, and the chatter with them.
Now they have made me feel really bad and a horrible person.   But I am also stubborn, and the more they moan the less likely I feel to change
So the questions are, should I upgrade because of them.  Do I buy a re-con ipad, in which case which one ?
Should I get a phone, then I am committed to a monthly outgoing.
I feel so sad, that they finished their two night stay, with this, as they were saying all this stuff, I kept very quite, and said I was happy with what I had got. -  Advice please.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jezza

Re: Mobile phone or Ipad
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 13:41 »
Hello I dont know which network you are with but it's worth looking at their up grade offers , my network provider reminds me every month that I can upgrade,I use an Samsung A 10 phone for all my internet and calls I have Whats App and Skype which are free calls when they are downloaded,if you need an I pad ask the mobile shops what they have and what dealers they have,you might even be able to move your original phone number onto the i pad     jezza

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 13:48 »
I wont have a mobile phone as I am partially deaf and would never be able to hear it without my hearing aids in which would make it difficult (I can manage with a land line).  This would mean that to converse I would have to resort to text speach - again a no as far as I am concerned! I know that you also rely on hearing aids so it is something more to consider.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 13:53 by Val H »
Val
Recipes Galore!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 15:19 »
Yes Val, you are right, I cannot hear at all now, profoundly deaf they call me !!  I would not be able to hear on a mobile, and too much arthritis to text.  Oh, I am so confused :wacko:  Mrs B

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 16:15 »
It all sounds a little unfair Mrs B.  If they don't like to talk to you on the laptop then perhaps they should buy you a fancy Ipad?

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 17:19 »
I have got a birthday coming up, but as they haven't bothered to say, "we are home, and thanks for having us" I don't think there is much chance.   :D  Mrs B

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 17:27 »
What would be the point of having one, If you can't hear it. I know there are the various ways of sending messages, on a mobile - but tbh you might just as well correspond by using email on your laptop, if that's easier for you.
They don't seem to be considerate of your difficulties, the grandchildren could easily have their own email accounts on their own mobiles, to keep in touch - it's no different to sending a text, really.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 20:33 »
My Mum's old iPad became unreliable and didn't like doing the internet, so she chose to replace it with another iPad.  She was familiar with the technology and how to use it, and therefore it made sense to her despite the cost.

My brother had been making noises about how, if she had a smartphone rather than an old style mobile phone, they could send photos etc. using the WhatsApp app.  Eventually, she decided to get a smartphone.  She wanted a small one, and in the end decided to go for an iPhoneSE (I think).

She didn't want a contract or monthly payment, as she won't use it much away from wi-fi, so she's on a true PAYG.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 07:49 »
What is the issue with the grandchildren not liking the laptop? Did they FaceTime you on your old now defunct iPad, so you can lip read them? If so I would buy a new iPad as I wouldn’t want to miss out on my grandchildren, a smartphone you could do the same with but of course the screen is smaller, although ones like the Samsung galaxy are a bit bigger. I suppose they don’t contact you when you’re out & about so maybe you wouldn’t get so much out of a smartphone. Is there an apple shop near you? If so & you bought another iPad you could get them to teach you how to do more on it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 12:18 »
Thanks everybody for your replies, all of which I have inwardly digested !    The result is that I have decided to just stick with what I have got.  They didn't really ipad me that much, just a funny gif or similar from the girl, but very very seldom from the boy.    They start going to their new school in September, trains both ways to get there and the finish is 5pm and half day Saturday as well.    So I expect time will be even less.
I find the attitude from them selfish, so I will be selfish as well.  :D  Thanks again folks,   Mrs B

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 17:07 »
MB, on reading your post I have to agree with you about their selfishness! You just go for what YOU want and feel comfortable using like before and if they moan again - tough!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 18:23 »
Not many years ago, we'd have been discussing why our families didn't write us letters or cards any more!

And what is this trend of not writing to thank anyone for presents etc any more? My mum always sat us down to write these very soon afterwards (dad always said within 48 hours)!

Tell you what, Mrs B, if you want to, send me a PM with your name and address and I'll write you a proper letter! Don't feel under any pressure though!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2021, 12:12 »
Growster, my upbringing was the same as yours.   On the nail.   The two grandchildren used to write a little thank you card, but it stopped a couple of years ago.   I blame the parents.   :(  Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2021, 14:31 »
Mrs B, just PM any time if you want to, I've planned a letter just for you!

X

xx
mobile phone coverage

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post April 25, 2018, 05:39
by LILLILEAF
xx
Replacing my mobile phone

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2022, 20:34
by jezza
xx
Mobile phone question

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post November 22, 2019, 08:43
by mumofstig
xx
This mobile phone stuff ggrrh !

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post November 09, 2021, 15:28
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 55 queries.