Ipad

• 12 Replies

mrs bouquet

Ipad
« on: April 02, 2021, 13:16 »
I have had mine for about 4 years.  It is a reconditioned 3rd generation.   I have noticed that although it is always plugged in it is slowly losing charge.  My Son says it is dying.  Is this correct, can I buy a new battery ?
Thanks,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Ipad
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 16:46 »
You can Mrs B.  But perhaps a good idea to take it to the repair shop.

https://youtu.be/nPgJ-8DTDhA

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 05:09 »
Not sure if I'm right, but do you ever take it off the charger then, and just use it elsewhere?

We both have a 3rd Gen iPad, and once they're charged, they stay well away from the dock, until they're around 20% or so. I'm no expert on charging issues, but just 'feel' that a constant connection isn't a good option, but that's just a personal observation...

We also cleared out a lot of dross (old apps etc.),on both ours, and then did a 'soft reset', which made them go so much better as well!

celeriac

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 08:25 »
https://www.ifixit.com/ is a good compendium of instructions for replacing things like batteries etc. Some of the jobs require a lot of skill (so might be best taken to repair shop etc.) but ifixit does at least tell you this in advance.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 12:02 »
One reason that the charge can drop away quicker than you might expect is that you may have an App that is "always on" and is connecting and doing stuff all the time.

Settings - Battery - Last 24 Hours - Battery Usage by App

This will show you the Apps that have consumed the most battery in the past day and can give an indication of what it might be. You can then ask if your permissions or settings for that app are correct.

As for battery replacements, they should be done by professional repairers but first you need to know if the work is actually required. Unlike the iPhone, the iPad does not show a "battery health" percentage but the Apple Store techs can inspect it for you and see if the battery is still healthy.

First work out WHAT is using the battery and then we can help you from there.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 13:15 »
It says  last 24 hours, messages, 11 mins on screen86%,  home and lock screen  3 mins on screen 14%
The screen tells me it is 61%  charged.    Mrs B

DanielCoffey

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 14:41 »
If all you have been using it for is Messages then it does sound like perhaps the battery is ageing and has a reduced capacity. If there had been an App at the top of the  list that was draining the battery that you did not recall using then we could have explained to you what it was being used for and checked its settings.

If it is becoming a nuisance keeping it charged every day then you can get one of the small external battery packs that look like a pack of cards and connect it to the iPad's 30-pin dock connector. It would then keep the internal battery charged off the external one but you would still have to keep the cable connected which I appreciate is a pain.

I would personally advise that you avoid going into any of the High Street "We Repair iPad's" places (yes they often have the grocer's apostrophe) since they will want you to spend as much money as they think they can get away with. While some are good, I think the majority just mail your device in to someone else for repair and tack on something to the price.

Instead perhaps have a look if your town has either an official Apple Sture or an Authorised Apple Repair centre. If they do, a phonecall to make an in-person booking or to arrange a mail-in no obligation inspection might be useful but the repair cost will be approaching the value of the iPad itself.

A quick google shows the generation of iPad you have is available "from" £90 and that an Authorised battery replacement can be had online "from" £60 including return postage.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 12:42 »
Hi Daniel, and thanks for all that information.   I have just looked the ipad, it is now only 60% charged and I haven't used it.  I shall have to think what way forward now.    The good thing is that (it was only used for messaging the grandchildren)  is that their equipment is more sophisticated than mine, so yesterday we emailed, which was a first.  So we are manging to stay in touch.  I have suggested that we could have a zoom together.   But I shall certainly dwell on your info.   Many thanks and enjoy Easter,  regards  Mrs Bouquet

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 12:48 »
Have you done an update recently or even completely switched it off whilst you charge it over night?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 06:44 »
I hope you can get it sorted soon, Mrs B!

Email from an iPad is usually hit and miss with me, (bunches of bananas have nothing on these gnarled mitts), but your delicate fingers will have no problem, I'm sure!

And Daniel, you are now a designated iPad Guru, and have been registered as the go-to for all probs in that particular field! I had never checked some of the details you advised, and a bit more delving showed a huge usage of my two favourite apps, (Garage Band and Music Studio), but there again, that's what it's for!

Welsh Merf

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 19:38 »
Don't talk to me about iPads, Mrs B!

Last Christmas I bought my eldest son an iPad, my youngest son an iPhone, and my wife an iRon. She hasn't stopped going on about it ever since!
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 11:34 »
The ipad never moves anywhere ! and it is located under a socket, so I have always kept it on.  How do I completely turn it off ?  Mrs B

DanielCoffey

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 12:47 »
Normally you don't need to turn an iPad off fully unless it is going away in storage as they are very good at managing Apps that you don't use often.

If you want to turn it off and on again, press and hold down the Power button on the iPad for four or five seconds. You should then see a "Slide to Power Off" button and a Cancel button. That will allow you to completely shut it down which takes about ten seconds or so.

A press and hold of the Power button again will begin the turn on process which I think usually starts with the Apple Logo being displayed and about twenty seconds later you will be asked to tap in your pass code (usually four or six digits unless you went for the longer options).

You should not really need to turn the iPad off regularly however. Once in a very infrequent while is handy but not necessary.

What I suspect is happening to the battery is, like all rechargeable batteries, the capacity has diminished slowly over time. Depending on how heavily you use a rechargable battery, they show almost full capacity for a long time then it tends to drop off quite quickly as the battery gets older. It holds less charge so goes flat quicker.

If you can see if there is an Apple Store in your town it might be a good idea to call them and explain that you have an older iPad which is not covered under AppleCare and which is showing very short battery life. Ask if they offer a mail-in no obligation inspection to determine what the problem might be. For an agreed charge, they ought to send you a suitable package to send it in properly protected, inspect it and then give you a report and estimate of refurbishment if it is actually needed. If you decided not to go ahead, they should just send it straight back to you untouched.

If you Google "Apple Store Locator UK" you will find the official Apple Store Locator website so you can see if there is one in your town.

xx
Ipad woes...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post November 28, 2018, 18:15
by Growster...
clip
A photo from my iPad hopefully !

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post June 30, 2020, 15:45
by wighty
xx
How do I rectify my ipad

3 Replies
Last post September 16, 2020, 20:51
by snowdrops
xx
Mobile phone or Ipad

13 Replies
Last post June 05, 2021, 14:31
by Growster...

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 52 queries.