Allotment bullying by a corrupt committee

• 11 Replies

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
Allotment bullying by a corrupt committee
« on: April 09, 2019, 15:47 »
Has anyone any solution to a bullying committee who isolate then attack individual members by inventing slights and slurs purportedly by said isolated Plot Holder?      They are always witnesses to the incidents  themselves i.e. one writes a letter of complaint backed by at least two others from the committee or their spouses.     
Do you really need al that lettuce/

mikem

• Experienced Member
Re: Allotment bullying by a corrupt committee
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 16:30 »
Without knowing more, I would just keep my head down and get on with the allotment.  I know that a major part of going to the allotment is the "chat" but I guess that there will be others you/the person can chat with.  Alternatively try and get on the committee at the next AGM!

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 16:41 »
Who owns the allotments, can you approach them if it’s directed at you. What has the committee got to gain by bullying people, do the bullied Allotmenters give up the plot& they let it out to themselves or friends?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 17:15 »
the Committee gain by then giving the plots to their friends who can amazingly jump to the front of the waiting list for some wonderous reason.    The problem with the committee is that they do not wish any other ideas /opinions other than their own and anyone who offers an alternative is then given the silent treatment and low and behold they have a letter or letters written in about them which of course are reviewed and judged by the committee!     The allotments are owned by the Local Council but it is difficult to make contact with the responsible person as the conduit is by way of a Committee member.   

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 18:31 »
I don't take very kindly to those who are supposed to offer help and comradeship to plot  other holders we all expect to be treated equally and if we do step out of line then one would expect a quiet word in that persons ear would be the order of the day

I don't agree with any allotment mafia especially those elected onto an allotments committee we haven't got an allotment committee but we do have a parish council representative that overlooks the allotments and also has his own allotments who is a good friend

but i have to say going back in time we  did have a problem with some allotment snitcher who where hell bent in title tattle to the council over something or nothing so I approached them individually with a little chat and had no more problems they kept well away from me for a long time but eventually they admitted they had been dip sticks and we got on fine till they gave up there allotments some years later

basiclly brokenglass you need to name and shame a strong letter to your allotment landlords being the council that you intend to take this further if they're not prepaired to look into this matter these allotments commitee elected representatives can be removed as harasment is a very serious matter these days and should be followed up with at least an investigation your concerns and then deal with it appropiately

if you still not satisfied you could contact your local elected councillor to take your case up

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 00:49 »
Cheers, much apreciated

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 10:39 »
I know of two different sites where this happens.   As has been said,   just keep your head down and say nothing other than to exchange pleasantries and maybe a cuppa with your adjoining neighbours.  It is sad that people on committees (not just allotment ones) are often very vindictive and spiteful and their clique "rules ok"   Just regard them as sad people, and remember at the end of the day, they still have to go to the toilet  :D   Whenever I meet folk who are rude to me (which fortunately is seldom)  I always look at them and remember that.  It takes it down into perspective   :lol: :lol:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

al78

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 18:05 »
I know of two different sites where this happens.   As has been said,   just keep your head down and say nothing other than to exchange pleasantries and maybe a cuppa with your adjoining neighbours.  It is sad that people on committees (not just allotment ones) are often very vindictive and spiteful and their clique "rules ok"   Just regard them as sad people, and remember at the end of the day, they still have to go to the toilet  :D   Whenever I meet folk who are rude to me (which fortunately is seldom)  I always look at them and remember that.  It takes it down into perspective   :lol: :lol:  Mrs Bouquet

Are they? Certainly not in my experience. I am on three committees, know no-one who is vindictive or spiteful, and no-one who ever knew me would accuse me of having those traits.

I don't think there is an easy solution if the committee is corrupt, if you manage to get on the committee, it is you against everyone else, so can easily get outvoted on anything. What is needed is an authority above the committee who can be approached, but then it is going to be the words of one against the clique. The only thing I can think of if there is a higher authority with the power to act is to make a formal complaint, combined with a petition signed by everyone who feels the same way (if they are corrupt, many other plot holders will have similar feelings).

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 18:21 »
Oh, please tell me what committee's you are on.   :D  Mrs Bouquet

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 09:17 »
Some people attracted to committees are not fit for purpose and want their little clique in charge of everything.  Some are just public minded and want the best for everyone.  Plus everything in between, as they are all human after all and even the best of us are not immune to the odd slip of the halo.

I don't sit on any committees at the moment, but I have done.  You see bad as well as good, but luckily I've never seen a really nasty situation like Brokenglass has.   There must be a council officer in charge of allotments and I would agree with Rowland that a letter might be the way to go, if you think a quiet word on the ground won't do any good.  Keep it all in writing - letter or email.  You have to make the choice though over whether to ignore or challenge the bullies.

Good luck with it all and keep us posted please  :) 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 20:02 »
the Committee gain by then giving the plots to their friends who can amazingly jump to the front of the waiting list for some wonderous reason.    The problem with the committee is that they do not wish any other ideas /opinions other than their own and anyone who offers an alternative is then given the silent treatment and low and behold they have a letter or letters written in about them which of course are reviewed and judged by the committee!     The allotments are owned by the Local Council but it is difficult to make contact with the responsible person as the conduit is by way of a Committee member.   

I am sorry to hear about your troubles.  Just because the 'responsible person' is the usual way of the council dealing with the allotments, does not mean that you cannot contact them direct.  I agree with the others that a letter to them would be fine.  Keep it factual and do not make personal slights against the individuals concerned on your site.   If your council person isn't helpful, then consider getting your local councillor (if you have this sort of arrangement where you are) involved.

Corruption is a nasty business, whether done at a local or bigger level.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 13:53 »
Most mobile phones have a voice recorder app on them nowadays, if anyone comes to talk to you just pretend the phone has gone pick it up as if you were answering it and press the record button and simply hold in your hand.
I have used this method when we had issues with a tennant which I was asked to talk to , he was friendly with one committee member and between them tried to report my so called bullying behavour, with the full recording it was the member and the committee that ended up in the big pile of horse muck!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
new to me allotment

Started by Debz on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 19:39
by snowdrops
xx
New allotment t&cs

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

22 Replies
Last post January 09, 2020, 11:42
by mumofstig
xx
Giving up my allotment.

Started by miggs on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post September 24, 2018, 16:48
by Growster...
xx
Price for an allotment

Started by Love154 on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post October 22, 2021, 23:52
by Stewarty

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 52 queries.