Couple of questions

• 4 Replies

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
Couple of questions
« on: June 22, 2010, 21:26 »
Evening all

Couple of questions

a) my aubergines seem to have stopped growing they are in pretty big pots now half a dozen fair sized leaves but nothing resembling a flower I pinched out the tip but they havent bushed -  they are in a plastic greenhouse with some peppers which are flowering beautifully??

b) I'm sure I read that ashes were good for something so we've saved them from our BBQ's but I've no idea what to use them for or on??

HOpe you are all enjoying this weather I'm off tomorrow the house is tidy so I'm off to the plot for a guilt free wonderful morning

Missy

Bolthardy

Re: Couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 21:43 »
Re ashes and use of. Wood ash good, coal and other types good only for gritting icy paths and accompanying sack cloth!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 21:43 »
I don't pinch out aubergines, they seem to do it without any help. Your pinching may actually have stopped them flowering for a time cos mine flowered at the top before the side shoots started to grow. Giving them a feed of half strength tomato feed may help them along.

If you used a firelighter/starter fluid, or those easy start barbecue briquettes on your barbecue then I wouldn't use the ash on any veg. If it is just ash from wood or charcoal then you can sprinkle it around tomatoes or fruit bushes :)

Antonius

• My space away from the rat race
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 22:12 »
Mumofstig is spot on about the ash from a bbq. If you want wood ash,burn just that...wood! Wood ash gives you a substance containing potash,potash is good for most crops of veg.
I wouldn't say I was the best manager for the job,but I would say I'm in the top one! (Brian Clough)

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 22:25 »
If you have just potted them on, this is probably why top growth has slowed down. They are putting on roots in their bigger pots.

xx
a couple of questions??

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 08, 2007, 15:46
by GrannieAnnie
xx
A couple of questions - can anyone help?

Started by bedifferent on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 02:22
by gobs
xx
A Couple of Questions...

Started by teabelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 12:45
by teabelly
xx
couple of questions

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 16:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 40 queries.