Opening and closing times for chickens

• 8 Replies

wendyg

Opening and closing times for chickens
« on: March 19, 2011, 15:25 »
We are hoping to get some hybrids for our allotment in a few weeks time.  What I would like to know is what time do people open and close their coops.  Neither of us works, so we tend not to get up early, I have noticed that a few people let their chickens out at 5.30 am!, is this necessary.  The allotment is only a couple of miles away, but it can take 20 minutes to get there (traffic congestion).  Eventually we will modify the pop hole door (it is horizontal) and fit an automatic opener, (when we have saved up enough money).

Wendy
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

PaulineM

Re: Opening and closing times for chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 17:47 »
I would say they need out of their coop as close to daylight as possible. Mine get out about 7.30am during the week and 8.15am at the weekends.
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 17:50 »
Let them out any time up to 8.00AM - 8.30AM and close them in when they go to roost around about dusk.

Definitely get an automatic pop hole opener as it prevents all the hassle. Mine is set to open at 6.00AM if its light enough outside and then to close at dusk.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 17:51 »
mine are let out between 6 and 6.30 weekdays and 7 at the weekend usually  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 17:54 »
Around 8am.  Summer and winter.

Even with an automatic pop hole opener you must check them some time in the morning to ensure it has not malfintioned.

Gerty333

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 20:35 »
i let mine out when i get up if its light (about 6.30) and when i leave for work if its still dark (about 7:30). Putting them away's not so bad because they'll go in when it gets dark themselves so if theyre in a foxproof run you don't have to be so prompt (although I wouldn't leave it too long).

Mine have got a large inside space now with a window (its a converted childs playhouse) and food & water in their coop - that way if i don't get up so early on a weekend, they still can and have everything they need!

mgf

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 21:29 »
I have an enclosed/covered run and leave the pop hole open all the time.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 22:05 »
I found a website with the sunrise and sunset times for my location.  I find they get up and go to bed within 10 minutes of sunrise/set so that's when I head out to make sure everything is ok and open and close their door. 

They are just at the bottom of the garden and I work from home so it's easy for me.

My coop has large windows and I have a feeder and waterer in there, so if for some reason I couldn't let them out on time I wouldn't be too bothered about it - but I suspect they would be very grumpy with me!

Casey76

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 11:46 »
My chickens are out by 6:30am during the week and by 8am on weekends.  When I shut them up depends on when I get back from work during the winter, and of course, during the summer it depends on them ;)

question
how many times can a hen go broody

Started by AL Hathaway on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 14:28
by joyfull
xx
Goose egg cooking times?

Started by wolverine on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 00:10
by johnfh
xx
"Stability at all times"

Started by EnviroChick on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2013, 12:56
by joyfull
xx
Do you eat your chickens?

Started by khelashi on Chicken Chat

17 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 00:19
by khelashi

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 40 queries.