Walipini

• 10 Replies

Robwalters

Walipini
« on: October 20, 2020, 07:21 »
Good morning ladies and gentlemen
Don’t be too harsh on me please first time
So has anyone got a underground greenhouse of any sort ? If so could you share your experience with me I’ve moved to northern France and have enough land for it and as the cost of vegetables here are outrageous I’m trying to grow stuff during the winter months as well I have a poly tunnel and quite a few beds
I’ve looked on line at many types but want someone who really has one and is willing to help me
Regards
Rob

Kleftiwallah

Re: Walipini
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 09:16 »
Good morning Robwalters,

An underground greenhouse!"  Are the plants you hope to grow a 'little iffy' would the 'authorities like to know about them?  Please tell us more.

Cheers,  Tony. 8)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 09:34 »
Don't be naughty Klefti   :nowink:

A Walipini is a greenhouse with some (or all) of the sides sunk into the earth, to insulate the greenhouse and use the earth's geothermic warmth to keep it above freezing.
I don't know of anyone using one, but the theory is very intersting.  Welcome to the forum and good luck with yours Robwalters :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 11:08 »

A question Rob...
I'm intreagued (if that's how you spell that word)!  I've seen a couple of tube films and I'm impressed.  Are the inside walls painted white or have white plastic sheeting applied?

Snaps please.   Cheers,   Tony.

Cheers,  Tony.

Robwalters

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 12:12 »
No nothing dodgy being grown 😂😂😂 as for being white lined I was going to line it with black barrels and rocks to absorb the daylight heat And fit a compost heap on the end with metal panels and try and reclaim some of the heat from that as well

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 13:38 »
Hi Robwalters & welcome. I’m sure a few months back there was a similar question asked on here. Do a search for greenhouses not walipini as I’m sure that name wasn’t mentioned as I’d not heard the term before. Good luck & we do like photos & updates particularly if it’s a bit different. :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 18:24 »
I've a big hole in the ground where I'd like one to be!  My experience suggests you should use something bigger than a pick if you ever want it finished :lol:

Robwalters

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 05:28 »
Hasbeans thank you for your wise words of wisdom greatly appreciated
Good news my better half has a spade so should be no problem

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 08:01 »
Sounds an interesting project Rob. What's your subsoil like, our local brick clay would turn a walipini into a pond.

Robwalters

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 08:15 »
Location where I plan is not too bad slight gradient sub soil is a bit on the clay side but will put drainage channels around to divert most of the water and internally will have a cold sink With additional pipes running out in my head the theory works but hey won’t know till I try

jezza

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 16:30 »
Hello I think we had one at college the walls were in the ground the glass and timber frame were on the top and we went down steps into it,   jezza

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 40 queries.