Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
Re: organic
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 10:48 »
this is very interesting

stompy

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 11:02 »
I use weed killer (glyphosate) on the main areas of weeds, but this is getting used less and less as the weeds are nearly under control  :D
I also use slug pellets, the organic ones might i add.
But thats it, and i never spray anything that we are going to eat at any time durin it's growth with anything other than water.
Healthy soil, blood fish and bone and plenty of verry well rotted manure every year, topped up throughout the year keeps my plants in good strong form so they can usually fight off most attacks.
Other than that i use fingers for small infestations and a hose pipe for larger, plus fleece etc.
I do lose a some plants, but i prefere that to using chemicals.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 12:40 »
Organic slug pellets (my hedges are slug/snail factories!) and very dilute washing-up liquid spray for aphids (because it works, and if people are using their "grey" water for watering their plants I'm not going to worry about a drop of w/up liquid!) That's it!

Home made compost, growmore and organic chicken manure for ferts (had to give up on BFB due to its attractiveness to the local urban foxes!)

So, far from organic I suppose but also negligible fungicides, herbicides and insecticides in my fruit and veg compared to most non-organic supermarket produce.

As to GM, the scientist in me thinks the possible benefits are great, but so are the potential risks. Long may we be able to continue growing our own stuff in as sustainable and natural a way as possible!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Christine

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 19:28 »
The first year on the plot, the family dragged in quite a lot of farmyard manure. It was free but of course not organic.

In the second year I had to buy in a load of compost to raise the level of one half of the allotment as it had sunk below the paths around it and no it wasn't organic - it came from the council garden waste recycling scheme. And we all know that most of what goes in there is not organic. But it was a cracking load of compost for all that - some of the nicest that I've seen.

A lot of waste that I was given by friends and neighbours to go on my compost heaps was not organic in year three (last year). It was free though. The leaves that I swept up off the nearby roads last autumn won't count as organic even though the trees are not managed in any fashion at present.

The compost that I use to bring on seeds is not organic because I've found that organic doesn't work as well as non organic.

That said, the fertilisers that I use are organic and weedkiller is only used to control the lessening dandelion and creeping buttercup population.

So I'm not really organic or anywhere near it. But I reckon that I'm fairly environmentally friendly for all that as I go down the proper composting route, use organic fertilisers and haven't any sprays of any sort other than the dready soapy water. I've a thrush that does snail removal duties so that's not a problem, slugs haven't been too bad so far and netting cures a lot of other pest problems.

Does that mean that green and organic are two different routes to running an allotment?

DavidT

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 19:37 »
The first year on the plot, the family dragged in quite a lot of farmyard manure. It was free but of course not organic. 

Surely ALL manure is organic? :lol: :lol: :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 19:40 »
I reckon that being green (and mostly chemical free) is what we manage.........and truly organic is something to aim for but not realistically possible. I want to enjoy my veg growing and not worry about every little thing  8)

and David T if the grazing that the animals have eaten is not organic, and they are not an organic cert animal........then the manure isn't organic  :lol: :lol:

DavidT

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 19:42 »
But the manure itself IS organic, even when it`s manmade. :lol: :lol: :tongue2:

Christine

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 19:43 »
Oh dear - sorry was in soil association mode without even thinking. No all manure is not organic unless the stock concerned grazed on organic pasture. Hey ho.

Those of us who have been affected, like John who runs this site, by weedkillers in manure that wrecked his crops a couple of seasons back  will tell you that not all manure is organic.  >:(

In fact some of it is decidedly non organic, non friendly and even counter productive. But that's a different can of worms.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 19:45 by Christine »

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 20:30 »
thanks for sticking to topic everyone  :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 20:32 »
thanks for sticking to topic everyone  :)
Or else!!!!  :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

stompy

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 08:28 »
The main reason i got my allotment was so that i knew what had gone on the plants.
It wasn't about being "Organic" it was about having the knowledge that what we were eating was fresh and un messed with.
The food tastes fresher and has a much better texture than any shop bought produce, even than that of a farmers market or farm shop.
There is no way that i will ever be "Organic" but i sleep soundly in the knowledge that the veg's etc that i produce for ourselfs and imediate family is far better than anything that can be bought  :)

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 14:00 »
The main reason i got my allotment was so that i knew what had gone on the plants.
It wasn't about being "Organic" it was about having the knowledge that what we were eating was fresh and un messed with.
The food tastes fresher and has a much better texture than any shop bought produce, even than that of a farmers market or farm shop.
There is no way that i will ever be "Organic" but i sleep soundly in the knowledge that the veg's etc that i produce for ourselfs and imediate family is far better than anything that can be bought  :)

Well said - pretty much sums up my approach too  8)

Except I dont have an allotment - just a very veg-orientated small garden!

xx
Organic or not organic the truth at last.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 21:29
by Trillium
xx
Organic vs Non-Organic growing

Started by Jaybees on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2020, 11:28
by Jaybees
xx
organic or not?

Started by mrpotatohead on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 14:36
by fatcat1955
xx
organic

Started by Uela on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 14:14
by potatogrower

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 42 queries.