i don't try to be organic
i use weed killer etc

organic

• 27 Replies

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
organic
« on: January 31, 2010, 15:34 »
its hard being completely organic but who is ? who try's to be ? and who doesn't bother

i was just wondering  :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 15:36 by blackcap1000 »

cob nut

• Experienced Member
Re: organic
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 16:08 »
We try to be organic with fertilizer & pest control...did have to resort to some non-organic spray for the whitefly on the brussels last year though  >:(

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 19:16 »
i used ant spray 2 years ago. that wasn't organic  :tongue2: :tongue2:

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 20:06 »
Ive been really annoyed with the anti organic lobby of late - the recent reports that organic is probably no better for you.  Im certain thats not why the majority of us go organic (either shoppers or growers) - its because it is sustainable and makes sense.  We need to stop piling artificial nutrients and poisons into the soil.  If anyone remains sceptical, google for satalite photos of the algae growth off the bay of biscay - not good.

Taking this argument further, Im almost pro-GM now, at least that isnt adding manmade fertiliser or insecticide into the environment and, realistically, the globe needs to start producing more food, fast. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 20:14 »
Funny, but GM frightens me more  :ohmy: it's not adding manmade ferlilizer....it's adding man made seed :ohmy: :ohmy:

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 20:19 »
It`s not so much adding man made seed. It`s adding man manipulated genes and hormones. which IS NOT organic. Kermit, if you garden within a half mile of someone who uses chemicals then you ARE NOT growing organically.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 20:24 »
I think Blackcap1000 meant organic within reason, not to soil society standards. ::)  Please lets not go off topic unless the OP wants to.
Cheese makes everything better.

kermit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 20:26 »
It`s not so much adding man made seed. It`s adding man manipulated genes and hormones. which IS NOT organic. Kermit, if you garden within a half mile of someone who uses chemicals then you ARE NOT growing organically.

I take the point about GM - but realistically somethings gotta give, and GM scares me less than more and more fertilizer and insecticides (oh, and more rainforest clearance).  

Re the 2nd point about others nearby 'polluting' my organic crops, yea I knew that, but you didnt read my post.  I dont care too much if what I eat (and my kids) is organic or not, the main motivation for growing / buying organic is the same as why I buy peat-free compost - the environment.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 20:31 »
I have used weedkiller, just to clear the ground at first, and I have used bug clear this year on the whitefly on my cabbage :(

But I do try not to use sprays and I don't use inorganic fertilizers. So I suppose I'm only half way there  :lol:

DavidT

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 20:37 »

I take the point about GM - but realistically somethings gotta give, and GM scares me less than more and more fertilizer and insecticides (oh, and more rainforest clearance).  

Re the 2nd point about others nearby 'polluting' my organic crops, yea I knew that, but you didnt read my post.  I dont care too much if what I eat (and my kids) is organic or not, the main motivation for growing / buying organic is the same as why I buy peat-free compost - the environment.
More and more fertilizer? You can`t get more organic than Fish, blood and bonemeal. Or bonemeal, or seaweed meal or dried blood. You are quite happy to feed your kids modified hormones? Please NEVER move to South Wales.lol

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 20:38 »
I try to use the minimum and never use chemicals within two weeks of harvest.  Netting and fleece are my greatest helpers.  I am going to introduce more complementary planting next year too.

DavidT

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 20:42 »
Enviromesh, apparently, can prevent most insect pests.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 20:47 »
Enviromesh, apparently, can prevent most insect pests.

But it doesn't stop the bl@@dy whitefly from getting on your cabbage :mad: :mad:
You see I do try to use organic methods :)

kermit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 20:54 »

More and more fertilizer? You can`t get more organic than Fish, blood and bonemeal. Or bonemeal, or seaweed meal or dried blood. You are quite happy to feed your kids modified hormones? Please NEVER move to South Wales.lol

Absolutely, BF&B all the way.  Im just saying that, in global terms, there isnt enough food being produced, and the quantities of fertilizer and insecticide at current levels are having a disastrous impact already.  And no, I probably would choose not to buy / grow GM if it came to it, but thats not to say it isnt the lesser of two evils in solving the worldwide food shortage.  And if my measly crop last year is anything to go by, we're all doomed!  Sheesh, talk about being misquoted...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 21:18 »
[  Sheesh, talk about being misquoted...
This is why I asked everyone to keep on topic.  This can become a very contentious issue.

xx
Organic or not organic the truth at last.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 21:29
by Trillium
xx
Organic vs Non-Organic growing

Started by Jaybees on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2020, 11:28
by Jaybees
xx
ORGANIC!!

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 21, 2021, 18:30
by Ema
xx
organic

Started by Uela on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 14:14
by potatogrower

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 42 queries.