Sowing in modules

• 10 Replies

Wellington

• Experienced Member
Sowing in modules
« on: February 25, 2020, 21:48 »
I’ve never really bothered with modules, as I find them rather a faff to get the plants out of, but I’m short of indoor space, so I’d like to give them a go as they take up less room than small pots. The ones I’ve ordered are REALLY flimsy, and I can’t see them lasting five minutes.

How are you supposed to get the plants out with out damaging the plant or the module, anyway?
Are there any more sturdy ones anyone can recommend?
Anyone tried any of the alternative-to-plastic type materials?

All ideas appreciated. 

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Sowing in modules
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 22:06 »
What size modules are they? I start alot of my crops in plug size modules, they're easy to pop the young plants out when required and they're a lot sturdier than the normal pot sized ones. The plants can either be planted out when small or transferred to a bigger pot if you need to keep them out of the ground for longer.

I use some similar to this, but I paid a little less I think, probably from B&M or Wilko. 3 years and still holding up well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nutleys-104-Cell-Modiform-Plug-Plant/dp/B007M2BKTY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1AFYB20VA6JHQ&keywords=plug+seed+trays&qid=1582668313&sprefix=plug+seed%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-3

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 22:09 »
I use the flimsy 24 or 15 section trays which sit in sturdy trays. I then use fibre pots which go in the sections. A chisel or flower pot sited trowel to lever out the fibre pots. These result in less root disturbance.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 06:18 »
"I use the flimsy 24 or 15 section trays which sit in sturdy trays."

Same here, Tony! Over the years I've bought 30 trays with 15 square pots per tray, and at 6gms, are pretty flimsy, but when the tray is loaded up, they lock up incredibly well! They also have a tiny reservoir in the base of the tray which helps on dry days. Some trays here are about seven years old!

I think you might be happily surprised, Wellington, if these are the types you've ordered! I've never broken one at all, as just a small squeeze releases the seedling, and away you go!

They're great for toms, runner beans and sweet peas...

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 09:22 »
If a "squeeze" doesn't work then just use a small bamboo cane and push up through the drainage hole.  If there are sufficient roots then they should come out OK.

jambop

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 10:03 »
Down here plants are very often sold in individual plastic pots, ten to a strong plastic frame tray. I save every one of these and reuse them. They are normally for 5 and 7.5cm and although not very strong I have reused them for many a year now but when they split I chuck them. Because they are a fair sized pots the plants seldom need potting on before planting out and the plants come out of them easily. Down side they take a bit of compost ... upside its good for the soil so evens out.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 11:52 »
My neighbours buy their pot n basket plants in modules each year - I've got them well trained, 'cos now they leave the empties on my doorstep  :D

jambop

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 12:10 »
My neighbours buy their pot n basket plants in modules each year - I've got them well trained, 'cos now they leave the empties on my doorstep  :D
Same with me and I never refuse them as they are so handy to have.

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 18:08 »
we use modules or pug trays and have done so for many years and when we buy in our bedding plants they all come in modules or plug trays after we get the plants out we wash them and re use them for seeding most of these modules are 40ml square cells 84 and quite robust

you can make or buy a tool for pushing the pug plants out but we find a pencil quite good for pushing the plugs out without any damage

jambop

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 18:13 »
we use modules or pug trays and have done so for many years and when we buy in our bedding plants they all come in modules or plug trays after we get the plants out we wash them and re use them for seeding most of these modules are 40ml square cells 84 and quite robust

you can make or buy a tool for pushing the pug plants out but we find a pencil quite good for pushing the plugs out without any damage
I have three of these I bought for €2 each at a local garden center. I have had them for more than five years now as you say quite robust excellent for onions a couple of seeds in each.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 22:00 »
Thank you. I have these ones, because i wanted ones that fit in my watering trays (I’m growing in my spare room at the moment, so I need to contain water) and they are barely held together. I’m pretty sure they will get squashed as soon as I try and get the plants out. I’ll try pushing up with something. I didn’t notice how big the drainage holes were. Once the plants are growing a bit more strongly I think I’ll give the paper ones a go. I like coir jiffy pots, but the silly net thing (which seems completely unnecessary to me) really hold the plants back, and getting them off is fiddly to say the least)

xx
Sowing in Modules

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 17:31
by bravemurphy
question
Sowing carrots in modules?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 20:19
by Christine
xx
Modules

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2023, 20:25
by snowdrops
xx
How do you get plants out of modules?

Started by ISL on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 24, 2013, 09:49
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 52 queries.