First earlies flowering

• 4 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
First earlies flowering
« on: May 18, 2013, 21:06 »
I noticed today that the first earlies in my tunnel are showing flowers now, and I always expect that to mean the spuds are almost ready, but when I had a rootle I couldn't find any sign of them. I did plant them up (they're in polypots sitting on the bed) 12 weeks ago now, which is quite a long time for first earlies, but there has been some pretty cold weather in that time so I'd expect them to be taking a bit longer. They're Arran Pilots, if that makes a difference.

Should there be some in there if they're showing flowers, or is that just an old wive's tale? I'm wondering whether to risk tipping some out.

solway cropper

Re: First earlies flowering
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 21:10 »
Don't tip them out yet....have a 'furtle' under the soil/compost to see what's there. I tipped out a tub of Arran Pilot with plenty of top growth and flowers only to find about half a dozen marble-size spuds!

The long cold spring has really hammered things this year. I reckon at least 4 weeks behind.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 23:06 »
I don't harvest spuds until after they have flowered and died down. The tubers have time to swell then I believe.

neal

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 22:26 »
The flowers have fallen off my rocket earlies. Lifted two roots and most are the size of a large
egg. Well pleased with the results.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:13 »

Because the plants have started flowering does not mean that the tubers  are ready, far from it, it is more likely to stop them forming further as the plant wants to set seed and complete it's life cycle!

When I started gardening my granddad told me to take off any flowers that appeared as they hindered tuber growth and I always do!

It would be impractical for farmers with large acreages to do so!

Also this year my main crop Sante which are about a foot tall have already for some reason started to show flowers, so they will have to come off!

Hope this helps!
STOP, and smell the roses!

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 39 queries.