Growing Leeks

• 16 Replies

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
Growing Leeks
« on: February 10, 2024, 17:18 »
I've read the garden article on this, but it doesn't give me the info I need. There's probably a few discussions on this but a search doesn't bring them up. I never have much success, they seem to start off ok in a deep seed tray (10 cm deep) in my unheated greenhouse, but they never thicken up to pencil width, I always end up planting them out quite skinny 3-4 mm. Consequently my leeks are nowhere near as thick as OPs down the plot (2-2.5 cm). Any advice to get them to grow thicker before planting them out. They were planted in March, then down to the plot early August. This has happened two years running, so I'm doing something wrong, just not sure what. Thanks for any help on this.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing Leeks
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 20:20 »
I always start mine off in deep trays (old cat litter boxes) as per this old thread https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26363.0
How much space do you leave between seedlings?
Perhaps the occasional liquid feed might fatten them up if the compost you are using isn't up to the job? Some composts seem to have very little goodness in them nowadays  ::)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 20:26 »
Thanks mumofstig, the link is very useful. My tray is about the same depth so should be ok. I'll give that method a go including using grow bag compost. Cheers :D

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 21:26 »
I'd definitely go with Mum's suggestion of an occasional liquid feed, especially after they have been growing a while the nutrients in the compost may be running out.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 21:55 »
Another one here recommending feeding to fatten them up! It really does make a difference.

I also add a handful of chicken pellets when planting out and cover with enviromesh to stop leek moth.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 18:43 »
I've never transplanted them that late, which may be a factor. I start in small modules start of April, I'll repot them probably in May then plant out end of June start of July after potatoes.  I'd agree with the others, they will need a feed. Although they look small and weedy for a while they are deceptively hungry.

Mind you my leeks this year were a bit of a disaster, I dropped my trays of them and ended up mixing up the autumn leeks and the winter/spring leeks and they never did well for me this year. Onwards and upwards

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 19:27 »
I always used to start leeks in pots at home, then come 2020 and the prospect of a total lockdown when I might not be able to even visit the plot for a few weeks, I stuck in a seed row under an insect mesh cover.

As it happened it went bonkers at work (supermarket) and I didn’t have much time for anything else for a few weeks.  I went back to find the best seedling leeks I had ever grown.  I then did seed rows, but some reason decided to do pots again last year.  They were not half so good, so guess what - yup, seed rows again this season :lol:

Forgot to say , they were all transplanted from the seed row, so not much room needed to start them off.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 19:28 by New shoot »

Nobbie

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 21:34 »
I’ve tried sowing in pots and transplanting, but it’s a lot of faffing around. Last year I just sowed a row in the ground in early April and left them to it until I’d dug a few potatoes and then transplanted. Got to a decent size and still eating them.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 16:42 »
Thanks for all the suggestions, think I'll try mumofstig's method, and see how it goes. Cheers.

The Persistent Novice

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 16:14 »
I start mine off in a cat litter tray. They never get to pencil thickness but when I transfer them to the plot I bury a toilet roll tube and plant the leek in the bottom of that. My potato dibber is the ideal size to create the hole for the toilet roll tube. This way the leeks have space to expand, and I get lovely large leeks, with a good length of white “flesh”.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 16:02 »
I always start mine off in deep trays (old cat litter boxes) as per this old thread https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26363.0
How much space do you leave between seedlings?
Perhaps the occasional liquid feed might fatten them up if the compost you are using isn't up to the job? Some composts seem to have very little goodness in them nowadays  ::)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
mumofstig, I've tried your method this year, planted these 16 Mar, seem to be ok so far, when do you think they need feeding if at all?
Leeks.jpg

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 09:06 »
I sow mine haphazardly in pots then transplant them individually about 9 to a bigger pot and give them a feed. They don't always grow to exact pencil thickness but, when I plant them permanently in about June, I dib a deep hole, trim any longer roots off, pop them in and water. A bit of Vitax Q4 to help them on and they did well last times I've done this. BTW, last year I grew Bleu Solaise and they were jolly tasty especially when I added a bit of thick double cream just before serving.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2024, 10:19 »

mumofstig, I've tried your method this year, planted these 16 Mar, seem to be ok so far, when do you think they need feeding if at all?

Apply a half strength liquid feed if they seem to be flagging, but in a decent compost they should be ok until you plant them out.

AnneB

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2024, 18:35 »
I sow mine haphazardly in pots then transplant them individually about 9 to a bigger pot and give them a feed. They don't always grow to exact pencil thickness but, when I plant them permanently in about June, I dib a deep hole, trim any longer roots off, pop them in and water. A bit of Vitax Q4 to help them on and they did well last times I've done this. BTW, last year I grew Bleu Solaise and they were jolly tasty especially when I added a bit of thick double cream just before serving.
I am another fan of Bleu de Solaise.  As you say they are very tasty.  They withstand a lot of weather over winter too.

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2024, 08:41 »
I've still got a couple left over from last year and they still look good to me.

xx
Will leeks keep growing?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 14:12
by Aidy
xx
Growing Leeks

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 20:44
by janette
xx
growing leeks

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 08:58
by Elcie
xx
growing leeks

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2020, 10:30
by New shoot

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 52 queries.