finally got first earlies in!!! When should i plant mids and

• 18 Replies

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
I finally got my first earlies in today and i am slightly confused as to when to plant mids and lates. Someone said plant them all at the same time, but wont they all be ready to harvest at the same time :?:  :?:

I really wanted some for over winter, so could someone please tell me how i will be able to do this :?:

Thanks
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 21:30 »
I usually plant about 10 - 14  days apart mickeyboy, but I'm on 2nd earlies now and my firsts are still sitting there doing nothing, I think it's due to the dry weather.

If it was me now, I would put them in 1 week apart just to try and stagger the crops, maincrop take longer to mature anyway because your waiting for size and skins to thicken for storage.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 21:40 »
Earlies mature much quicker than 2nds which mature quicker than mains. so it is OK to plant them all at a similar time if your back will stand it. :roll:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 21:46 »
I've tried putting all mine in together this year to see how they go, but I still have 15 spuds left that won't fit in alloted space, so debating whether to put them in polytunnel, or somewhere else!!

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 23:43 »
I planted first earlies and mains yesterday, am planning to get second earlies in over the next day or three - need to clear the ground first!  The ones I've already planted are through holes in black plastic, thought I'd give that a go this year.  Anyone tried it?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 00:08 »
Quote from: "ytyynycefn"
I planted first earlies and mains yesterday, am planning to get second earlies in over the next day or three - need to clear the ground first!  The ones I've already planted are through holes in black plastic, thought I'd give that a go this year.  Anyone tried it?

Seen it done and it appears to work well but I really don't like plastic.

I'm not too bothered if the maincrop wait a couple of weeks but the 1st and 2nd earlies are in under fleece now. There are a few articles wot I wrote in this section: http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetables_and_herbs.php

Hope they help.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

ziggywigs

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 00:22 »
Finished planting my tatties today! Planted them all together.  

Oh and had a shower of rain tonight...i was rather pleased as ground is starting to get a bit on the dry side for April.

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 09:09 »
ok thank you all for that.

another question :!:

i am digging the beds at the mo and so far i have only dug the spud bed. Should i enlarge it for the rest of the roots ie parsnip, carrots and turnip or dig a seperate one :?:
 I was then going to begin the bed for onions, leeks and shallots. Then another for salads. Does this sound right :?:  :?:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 10:09 »
You could do with having both your onions / leeks and your parsnips in now..
What may help is to sow your leeks into some large pots (sow quite thinly) and plant out when they're about pencil thick. I've got some onion sets in modules while I prepare a bed for them to hold and get them off to a good start.

I've never seen this in the books, indeed I've read you should not do this but one chap on our site started his parsnips off in modules, planted the modules and ended up with a good crop.

Modules, btw, are those thin plastic inserts you put into a seed tray. I go for the 15 to a tray usually.

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 13:45 »
Thanks john.
I have my leeks in 3" pots in my mini greenhouse ready to go in soon (hopefully). They are about 4" long at mo but not very thick.

As for the parsnips, i have some of these modules that you plant into the ground and they dissolve. Are these ok to use for snips??

I am now preparing the beds for the onions sets, shallot sets and leeks. So hopefully they will be in on monday. I will then cover with fleece for a while (i think ?).

Great site by the way John and hugely helpful, thanks to you and your team :D    :D  :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 13:53 »
Quote from: "mickeyboy"
Thanks john.
I have my leeks in 3" pots in my mini greenhouse ready to go in soon (hopefully). They are about 4" long at mo but not very thick.

As for the parsnips, i have some of these modules that you plant into the ground and they dissolve. Are these ok to use for snips??

I am now preparing the beds for the onions sets, shallot sets and leeks. So hopefully they will be in on monday. I will then cover with fleece for a while (i think ?).

Great site by the way John and hugely helpful, thanks to you and your team :D    :D  :D

No rush to the leeks, you're better off letting them gow until May or even later. Then dib a hole and drop them into it, water well and this will give you a longer white shank.

Fleece isn't a bad idea while we have warm days but cold nights.

The dissolve things for parsnips, I'm not sure - sounds like a good idea. Try it and let us know how it goes.

The team  - my thanks as well to all those who ask and answer on here plus the moderators who help keep things under control and my tolerant wife who makes me tea and only rarely shouts 'How long are you going to be on that computer??/?"

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
Re: finally got first earlies in!!! When should i plant mids and
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 22:00 »
thanks for that John, I have been laid up with a bad back for near on a year.
Ps the parsnips in those dissposable pots worked a dream.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 22:47 »
Ouch a year!! Ive hurt my back for a few weeks but cant imagine the pain of a year  :( Hope you are feeling much much better

Good to hear the pots worked, now, what were they?  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 00:24 »
I'm sorry to hear you're suffering so with your back. Mine has been playing up but I put it down to far too many hours sitting on my backside on this computer (working) - however, now we've finished our book contracts I'm working more reasonable hours and hoping exercise will reduce the waist and improve the back.

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 20:23 »
I'm sorry to hear you're suffering so with your back. Mine has been playing up but I put it down to far too many hours sitting on my backside on this computer (working) - however, now we've finished our book contracts I'm working more reasonable hours and hoping exercise will reduce the waist and improve the back.

Good luck eith the back John and i'm glad you finished books. I will be purchasing them at the end of the month.

xx
Can I plant different varieties of second earlies together?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 22:30
by Yorkie
xx
what to plant for 1st earlies this year

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 14:09
by garddwr
xx
can u buy jersy mids potatoe seeds ?

Started by rubixs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 19:17
by peapod
xx
first earlies, HELP?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2007, 23:16
by frazzy

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 39 queries.