Wood treatment on pallets?

• 4 Replies

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
Wood treatment on pallets?
« on: May 07, 2021, 10:18 »
Watching "Beachgrove gardens" last night (Scottish program so you wont all have seen it, sorry) I've found something new to worry about !
Apparently I'm supposed to check what kind of wood pallets are made of & only use "heat treated" , not ones with chemical preservative. Not something I'd thought about before.
I've got three pallets sitting here ready to make a new compost bin & possibly a cold frame if there's enough left.
Should I worry - what do other people do? Am I way behind & you're all already doing this?
Thanks
Windy.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 10:31 by coldandwindy »

rowlandwells

Re: Wood treatment on pallets?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 10:17 »
when i built our compost bins i lined them with thick black poly sheeting that someone gave me from there allotments they had been using for ground cover

if i have  pallets a bit suspect I usually paint them with some old gloss paint that usually does the trick for me

jezza

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 19:13 »
Hello go on google to pallet identification it shows all the symbols and codes thr one to worry about most is any that have M,B on then as these were treated with Methyl Bromide up to 1993 when they were banned but some can still be in circulations food carrying pallets,if you have blue ones make sure that they are legally sourced as a company owns them and they are chargeable £5.00 ,if blue ones are broken or damaged they can be used, there are now reddish purple ones these are CHEC marked I havent found out yet if these are chargeable but they are returnable  jezza

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 09:20 »
Hello go on google to pallet identification it shows all the symbols and codes thr one to worry about most is any that have M,B on then as these were treated with Methyl Bromide up to 1993 when they were banned but some can still be in circulations food carrying pallets,if you have blue ones make sure that they are legally sourced as a company owns them and they are chargeable £5.00 ,if blue ones are broken or damaged they can be used, there are now reddish purple ones these are CHEC marked I havent found out yet if these are chargeable but they are returnable  jezza
Hi , thanks for the reply.
Mine are unpainted & have nothing written on them at all. Maybe some companies make their own? I think mine came with cattle feed. I'll need to ask the supplier where his pallets come from then. I'd say they're definitely not from before 1993, they look brand new.

wighty

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 17:23 »
Chec and blue pallets have to be returned.  We have had an Inspector come round and check that we don't have any lying around our premises.  Delivery drivers usually ask you to unload the pallet and they then take them away. 

xx
Preserving/Treating Wood - Old Pallets

Started by braders1234 on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 20:20
by fatcat1955
xx
Fence panel protection - Green Leaf Wood Treatment?

Started by fuchsia on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 13, 2015, 20:15
by fuchsia
xx
pallets pallets MORE blooming

Started by muntjac on Design and Construction

16 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 08:51
by Selkie
xx
Pallets and their uses

Started by SamanthaGodley on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 09:52
by Rampant_Weasel

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 44 queries.