How to look after a koi pond?

• 3 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
How to look after a koi pond?
« on: May 11, 2012, 13:34 »
We have recently bought a house which came included with a rather large 20ft by 20ft pond full of koi fish. I have been feeding them regulary but not over feeding them. The pond is created from run off waters so has no pond liner. We live in a very clayish soil area so I do notice the level of water drop and rise depending on rainfall. Anyhow thats a bit of background information but really im asking how is best to take care of them? I would like to encourage them to breed and keep the water ph right for them. So do I need a ph testing kit? and it there any need for a filter? Ive been feeding them koi carp pellets so far and thats it. Is it recommended I clean the pond or will that disturb the fish and possible eggs?

As you can see I just need a lowdown in basic pond care. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul Plots

Re: How to look after a koi pond?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 12:02 »
There are quite a few fish keeping forums that may offer advice - have a G**gle.

I'd take great care if you are considering "cleaning" the pond at this time of year - it's usually done in the autumn I think. Also, if your pond has a puddled clay liner rather than PVC /  Butylman, I would avoid disturbing the clay if possible as it could lead to leakage especially around exposed edges where the clay might dry and crack. I guess it depends very much on whether the pond is natural or constructed.

I'm not sure I'd worry too much about ph levels if the pond looks healthy and the fish are thriving why worry?

The pond sounds lovely. Pictures?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:03 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

fd01

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 21:11 »
Don't fix something that isn't broken is all i can say. Keep on feeding as much as they will eat, if the pond is well established then you don't need to do anything really. Clear the pond of any leaves etc in the Autumn, sorted. I'm not sure of Koi breeding conditions but goldfish usually breed every year when the weathers right.

Good luck with it, i miss my pond. Koi are beautiful especially if they become tame.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 21:28 »
Bear in mind that in Japan koi are bred in muddy ditches, in thick green water  ;)

If the water is too green and you want to see the fish, then barley straw pads are the best organic solution.

Marginal plants like irises and sedges help keep water free of nitrites, and some sort of water covering plants like lilies of water hawthorn shade the surface and help prevent green water too.

Oxygenating plants that grow under the water often over grow and need thinning from time to time.

I only clear some of the muck out of the bottom of my pond (5m by 3m and about 1.25 m deep) about once every five years in early autumn scooping it out with an old dustpan, whilst standing in the pond (Quite a palaver and certainly needs a warm day  :lol: )

Fish get koi pellets until the first frost, then swap to wahetgerm pellets until mid November. No food at all until the clocks change in March, then whaetgerm until the end of May

I am sure there are fancier ways of doing this but our oldest fish is now15 so it werks fer me  :D

Hope that helps

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Anyone know anything about pond pumps?

Started by coco on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 10:41
by coco
clip
In need of pond advice please

Started by Beetie on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2013, 15:46
by Elvira
xx
Fish in pond

Started by mrs mud on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 11:11
by ANHBUC
xx
pond advise

Started by massa on Pets without Feathers

15 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 14:02
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 38 queries.