I need some advice...

• 3 Replies

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
I need some advice...
« on: July 25, 2011, 12:02 »
Right.  I breed Lavender Araucanas and have decided to do another breed/colour also.  I bought 12 Black- Red Araucana hatching eggs back in April, and only hatched 8.  We think they are quite in-bred as one then died at 6 weeks old, one got wry neck (though this was never properly confirmed) and was culled to put it out of misery, one has wonky toes (they curl inwards) and one was the wrong colour, though this was not a big problem as the breeder had brought in a black to get the beard back.  I was originally going to breed these, but from seeing these problems I was not so sure.  So I thought, never mind, I'll give away the fit, healthy ones with a warning of what the others in the brood were like incase anyone has any problems- so far I haven't had any calls so I asume all is well. 

I have kept two - one cockerel and a hen.  The cockerel has the new blood in him, but the hen does not, so they are related by the father, and not completely inbred.  They are now 14 weeks old, and I went out yesterday to check them all when I noticed something with the lavenders in the same brood, but that's a different story.  Anyway, I was checking them out, and the two black reds were so friendly it was unbelievable!  They came up to me, chatting away, and eating out my hand.  Today I went out and still as friendly as ever!  I don't want to get rid of them, but I am afraid if I try to breed them the offspring won't bee good/ may die.  Should I go for it as the cockerel has new blood in him, or should I get more eggs and hatch them to get in a new strain?

Thank you.  I'm really not sure what to do.  The girl is beautiful!
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

Casey76

Re: I need some advice...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:20 »
Personally I wouldn't breed them together.  If you wanted to breed red/blacks then I would check to see which has the better conformation and colouring then buy in a new source of blood of the opposite of whichever you're going to keep. :)

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:38 »
The girl has the better colouring, but I was wondering if I should just do a different breed entirely?  I was thinking Marans, the blue and the brown eggs...  I may just keep her for her personality  :lol:  but I don't want to cull the boy... although I could if I have to.  you don't know anyone who wants a black/red araucnaa boy do you?  :D :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 22:52 »
The girl has the better colouring, but I was wondering if I should just do a different breed entirely?  I was thinking Marans, the blue and the brown eggs...  I may just keep her for her personality  :lol:  but I don't want to cull the boy... although I could if I have to.  you don't know anyone who wants a black/red araucnaa boy do you?  :D :D

You could put him on the Poultry Swap page.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
advice please

Started by woodsmoke on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 18:25
by karlooben
xx
hen run advice

Started by john d on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 13, 2018, 09:59
by rowbow
exclamation
New to all this and really need advice.

Started by greeneyesgreedy on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 18:23
by oddpaws

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 36 queries.