Day 2 as a plot holder

• 9 Replies

Katejs

Day 2 as a plot holder
« on: December 30, 2011, 17:28 »
So how long does this slightly obsessive phase last?  I find myself constantly looking at non-horticultural objects and wondering about their potential! :blush:

I've definitely got my eye on some of those big drinking fountain water bottles we have at work - I reckon that cut in half they'd make great cloches? (with a stick through the neck to  stop them blowing away?). 

And old pan scourers (the flat green sort) - surely slugs must hate the texture, so I'm thinking strawberry mats...?

What's your best tip for recycling household objects for the allotment?!

savbo

Re: Day 2 as a plot holder
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 18:04 »
there's usually a hefty deposit on the drinking fountain bottles (£5-8?) but  I've a couple I've found by the road that work very well...I also bring home some of the 10l water bottles you get when you're on holiday, cut the bottom off and stuff them with clothes and breakable stuff in the suitcase!

I'm now (at start of 3rd year of allotmenting) at the throwing-stuff-away-that-there-is-no-immediate-prospect-of-using phase, on the basis that when I need something, I'll find it. As if...

plots looking much tidier though

Rick the rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 18:07 »
It appears you have contracted the elusive Allotmenitis syndrome :D
Can only be cured with scavengeranium juice drank 4 times daily or you could take skipdive tablets to ease the temptaions  :blink:

If it's not broke then leave it alone

Katejs

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 18:29 »
Oops, I didn't realise the drinking fountain bottles had a deposit on them and got re-used.  Good thing I didn't walk out with them then   :D

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 18:55 »
Welcome to the clan Kate... if you can hide a bottle under your jumper you can always say your'e preg to the boss!!  :lol:

Take photos of your progress so we can see them. The new lottty syndrome goes on for years with the looking at everything at a different angle of "can I use that" is a great feeling. I always knock on and ask people for thoings that look like they are being ditched in their driveways etc... The worst that can happen is they say No...  My theory is that if I can recycle stuff by using at the plot I'll ask I can have it..

I got my plot in October and have kitted out my whole thing so far by only paying for the shed and some screws and nails etc.. see my site by clicking my weblink below my profile pic.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

m1ckz

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 07:20 »
rick
wonder where you are in essex, im in southminster

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 10:25 »
Hi kate  you can ask your boss he/she may not know they pay a deposit if you dont ask you dont recieve  ;)
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

Katejs

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 18:08 »
Sadly my boss would look at me as though I'd gone quite, quite bonkers and ask why I wasn't addressing my enquiry to the Facilities Manager.  Besides, it's public money, so it's  getting to be in short supply.

And at my age I'm afraid any attempt to feign my first pregnancy would make the front page of The Sun!   :D

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 18:18 »
And at my age I'm afraid any attempt to feign my first pregnancy would make the front page of The Sun!   :D
:D

Edited to show text as a quote, rather than a repeat post
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 18:22 by DD. »

bailey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 19:53 »
if you have a water drinks place near you or even ask the driver when he comes to maintain the drinks machine you may either fro the driver be given a couple or from the drinks place itself be sold a few dodgy ones,, 50p each I paid for 10 a couple of years ago..

the bottles do have a shelf life as such as the bases get worn ect so unable to be used for water..

xx
New plot holder says hello

Started by emmy1978 on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post January 18, 2007, 22:58
by muntjac
xx
Day 3 as a plot holder...

Started by Katejs on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 04, 2012, 09:17
by mumofstig
xx
New allotment holder

Started by Kingstown_peter on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 14:08
by stompy
xx
Hello from a new allotment holder!

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 15:22
by inosnofing

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 39 queries.