What apples do I have

• 12 Replies

lordthanatos

• 1st Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
What apples do I have
« on: September 18, 2016, 17:47 »
Howdy, anyone know what these apples are? Its a mature tree on my plot, no idea :(
20160913_145614.jpg
20160913_145526.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: What apples do I have
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 18:33 »
I'm afraid I've no idea - there are so many apple varieties!

Have you looked to see whether there are any Apple Days in your area?  You can usually take them along for ID purposes.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 18:59 »

If I  was to take a punt I'd say Blenheim Orange,they look similar to mine that I was looking at today, especially the open eye at the flower end. However as Yorkie said there are hundreds of varieties many of which are extremely similar. You need a real expert to look at them.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 20:59 »
One thing to be remembered is that not all varieties do well in all parts of the country.  For example, Cox struggles this far north; it's really a southern variety.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 21:33 »
If it's on your plot I assume it's been grafted onto a dwarfing rootstock or is it a big tree with no graft?

It looks a little way of being ripe but Trikidiki's punt could be right, leaves are right for a triploid, apples the right colour and shape, visible lenticels and the eye looks to match the description in book.  Have you tried it - is it a cooker?

Any chance of a view of the top (stalk and cavity) and a vertical cross section of one.

.... and yes I have spent far too much time reading apple related stuff lately  ::)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 21:34 by Lardman »

lordthanatos

• 1st Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 23:12 »
Haha indeed. They cook nicely. To sharp for raw eating. Ill get a cross section when ar plot next ;)

Featherstone

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 06:44 »
Another possibility is Charles Ross but you will soon know that if you keep them around a month as they will colour up a lot more and the texture goes funny (has been described as woolly) if it is you will understand. As already said there are loads of varieties. If you can't make it to an apple day you can send samples to broagdale.

Trikidiki

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 09:07 »
Haha indeed. They cook nicely. To sharp for raw eating. Ill get a cross section when ar plot next ;)

Blenheim Orange is a dual purpose late apple, all my apples are running late this year, I would leave them on the tree a fair bit longer they may sweeten up although it is a sharp variety.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 11:56 »
Another possibility is Charles Ross...

CR should keep it's shape when cooked, BO should give a puree.  Coincidentally I was on the lookout for a good, decease free cooker which keeps its shape when cooked  :D  ;)

grendel

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 12:16 »
Another possibility is Charles Ross but you will soon know that if you keep them around a month as they will colour up a lot more and the texture goes funny (has been described as woolly) if it is you will understand. As already said there are loads of varieties. If you can't make it to an apple day you can send samples to broagdale.
We tried Brogdale without success 3 times, and had our money refunded as they could not identify them, ours are cooker eaters, large fruit up to 1 Lb each apple, very slightly sharp, but cook well, they too go wooley if you try and keep them (so ours get picked  peeled and frozen). we are only a few miles from Brogdale, and ours were similar to some they had, but  were fruiting a good month before any similar varieties were ready at Brogdale (and we went round about 3 fields of apple trees with the man). if your apples go wooley quickly, then they may have gone too far before Bogdale can identify them (this is what happened to us, - their expert was not available until a week later by which time the fruit wasnt identifiable.
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 13:06 »
We tried Brogdale without success 3 times, and had our money refunded as they could not identify them, ours are cooker eaters, large fruit up to 1 Lb each apple, very slightly sharp, but cook well, they too go wooley if you try and keep them (so ours get picked  peeled and frozen). we are only a few miles from Brogdale, and ours were similar to some they had, but  were fruiting a good month before any similar varieties were ready at Brogdale (and we went round about 3 fields of apple trees with the man). if your apples go wooley quickly, then they may have gone too far before Bogdale can identify them (this is what happened to us, - their expert was not available until a week later by which time the fruit wasnt identifiable.
Yours sound like James Grieve, the OP's could be as well if they are large apples .

grendel

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 16:56 »
Thats what Brogdale thought initially, but ours were ripe and all their James Grieve were not, and were about a month off ripening, and as we are only about 10 miles from them the climate isnt any different.

jaydig

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 17:07 »
It couldn't possibly be a Lord Lambourne could it?  Until they are fully flushed with red they are very sharp, but they are lovely when fully ripe.  They can be used to cook with too, and the one red apple that I can see on your pic looks very much like the ones on my tree.

xx
what about 'em apples

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 03, 2014, 14:15
by jonewer
xx
Apples

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 18:21
by sclarke624
smiley
Apples

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2016, 00:16
by Trikidiki
xx
apples

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 09:12
by Anton

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 38 queries.