Buying choices

• 1 Replies

Wyandottie

Buying choices
« on: June 24, 2011, 19:32 »
Hi Everyone, It's ages since I last posted anything.  I recently lost another one of my girls - a white sussex.  I now want to purchase two more chickens, and from a local breeder have a choice of the following:  Black Rock, Rhode Rock Speckledy, Amberline, Columbian Blacktail, ISA Brown, Sussex Star or Blue Ranger.  My chickens are kept in a run, and the house will take a maximum of six.  I have no experience of any of the breeds listed.  Ideally I would like to choose smaller birds, but with good egg laying capacity, and that do not mind being confined to a run rather than free-ranging the garden.  Does anyone have any information on these breeds?  Many thanks

curries

• Experienced Member
Re: Buying choices
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 20:06 »
Hi Wyandottie, I have both Sussex Stars and Speckledy's so may be able to give you an idea of these two. 

I bought two sussex stars last year, unfortunately one of them became ill at about 6 months old and I lost her, but the other one is still going strong.  She is a very good layer and lays lovely large cream eggs, she's a very 'vocal' lady and quite highly strung, quite a big strong bird.

Then in January this year I got two POL Speckledy's, they are lovely but both have gone broody, one is now a mum and the other is expecting  :)  Great mums but probably not the best for egg laying, they do lay beautiful brown speckledy eggs when they are not broody though.

I have them all in quite a large run, the Sussex is the boss, but she is the oldest too  :)  I would say both are quite large birds really.

Good luck, happy hunting.
I dog, 1 cat, 1 horse, 1 Light Sussex, 2 Speckledys, 2 Cuckoo Maran:)

xx
please help im buying to day help

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 10:33
by alotment shed
xx
buying chickens

Started by kezlou on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 19, 2008, 22:51
by poultrygeist
xx
Buying chicks.

Started by sophiejo on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 07:51
by joyfull
xx
buying eggs

Started by chickenlittle on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 18:32
by van connick

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 34 queries.