Injury

• 4 Replies

gregnjo

Injury
« on: May 08, 2011, 19:03 »
Hi, one of our chickens seems to be lame, she was fine yesterday but today is reluctant to move. She can walk but with an obvious limp and would rather just sit still and this is very out of character for her. She did manage to get to her favorite perch but the dismount wasn't pretty, she isn't making any unusual noises but at the same time is not as chatty as she usually is when we are in the garden. We gave her a good look over and there aren't any lesions or cuts, no blood or obvious breaks, she can still grip with her foot but not as strongly as her other foot.

Any advice would be great.

Ta

Gx
Greg & Jo

PaulineM

Re: Injury
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 19:16 »
Hi
Does her leg feel warmer as I believe this can indicate a break. Perhaps she has sprained it and maybe only needs a rest. Good luck :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 19:20 »
Hi! Do you have a cockerel by any chance? One of my Exchequer Leghorns ended up with a strained hip after the too strenuous attention of one of my cockerels. She seemed pretty much as you described and did recover.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 19:23 by Helenaj »

gregnjo

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 19:25 »
no we dont have a cockerel just the 4 hens, she is obviously injured will take her to the vets tomorro if no improvement, should i remove her from the other 3 hens do u think they will pick on her if they realise she is injured? thanks for reply

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 21:56 »
I would only remove her if they start to bother her but she can go back when it's bed time, as they're best kept together as they won't accept her back readily if they get separated for too long

I agree that it would be best to take her to the vet tomorrow if she's no better.  Good luck with her  :)

exclamation
Hen claw injury

Started by Katiecat on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 02, 2017, 12:01
by danfinn1
xx
Eye Injury to Mom Chicken

Started by mlbjackson on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 14:57
by mlbjackson
xx
disease or injury

Started by ryan on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 02, 2010, 19:15
by orchardlady

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 35 queries.