growing spinach

• 8 Replies

rowlandwells

growing spinach
« on: June 01, 2010, 21:07 »
iv been trying to growing spinach in modules this time but without success  it seems to  bolt
may be i need to go back to the traditional way of growing it in rows i'm trying to grow an Italian variety although I'm not really a fan of spinach i have to say it always looks like something the dog has honked up when we cook it probably its the way we cook it
if there's a spinach cook out there can someone please educate me on the best way to cook spinach i know its well regarded as a choice for the restaurant trade

well it never done Popeye any harm at least that's what olive oil said  ;)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: growing spinach
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 21:12 »
I hate spinach but grow it for a friend and it is a swine for bolting.  If you want to you can try perpetual spinach which doesnt bolt as easily

As for cooking it, just lightly saute in butter for a minute or so to wilt it.  Thats what my mate says
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

purplebean

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 21:13 »
We add spinach to pasta or risotto that way it doesn't look so bad :)

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 21:18 »
dont bother with spinach just grow swiss chard intead :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 21:57 »
of all the leaves and brassicas etc I grow spinach is the one that is hardest to grow in modules and easiest to grow in short rows progressively. Water the row befoer putting seeds in, keep reasonably watered and do not expect to avoid bolting in hot weather. I like Chard but wife thinks it less tasty - it is certainly easy and stands well in hot weather. try diff forms of spinach -- New Zealand is easier I find etc.
R

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 22:51 »
The perpetual spinach is great for cooking (very light steam, or in a pan with table spoon of water to wilt for a few seconds, then butter or olive oil and pepper.  Alternativey its great shredded in pasta, stews, risotto etc - just add at the last minute and remove the pot from the heat.  It really doesnt need much cooking.

The non-perpetual stuff is lovely raw in salads or in sandwiches, i dont bother cooking it.   like you though, i find it a nightmare for bolting and on the verge of giving up.  I wouldnt bother sowing it now until the summer is almost over, it will just bolt immediately unless you tend to it like a child!

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 00:01 »
Cooking Spinach>
Most people overcook this veg.  Plate up your food/meat/pasta and then cook your Spinach - it only takes seconds as follows >>
Wash the spinach in cold water and drain thoroughly - place in a wok (add a little salt) on a medium/high heat - gently toss  until the leaves have wilted down (even a big pile only takes about 30 seconds) making sure the leaves have fully wilted down remove from the heat and toss into a collander and press out ALL the remaining liquid (you'll be surprised how much comes out) once pressed return to gentle heat and add a big dollop of butter and stir until this has all melted. Adjust the seasoning by adding more salt if needed and a few turns of black pepper. Finally a couple of scrapes of nutmeg (only a tiny bit) Then serve..... you can add some double cream if you want to spoil yourself......
Any left over cooked spinach can be saved - its lovely mixed in with creamy mashed potato.

As you will guess I quite like this veg!! hehe
Death OR Cake ???

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 00:09 »
I like it too and grow lots of different sorts. Hens love the stuff too so we need loads.  The perpetual is dead easy and prolific but I grow some Italian stuff and I've got the NZ stuff in the garden but it's looking a bit weedy at the mo, and hardly any germinated.

Cooking is simple as it doesn't really need any. Just show it a hot pan and it wilts  :D  I love the cream version with the nutmeg. Gorgeous. I have it with my pasta too and my curry. Great in pakora with other home grown grated veggies

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 08:44 »
Sowed mine in modules weeks ago and nothing  :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

xx
Growing Spinach in Greece

Started by marlene on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 13:28
by marlene
xx
Tips on growing Spinach

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 14:23
by marcofez
xx
Tips on growing spinach

Started by Penny22 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2007, 19:27
by Penny22
xx
Growing Salads (rocket, spinach etc)

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 16:22
by gobs

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 32 queries.