Supporting bush tomatoes in a planter?

• 4 Replies

DanielCoffey

Supporting bush tomatoes in a planter?
« on: March 23, 2019, 12:21 »
I intend to put two "bush" tomatoes in a raised table planter and expect them to merge into one sprawling plant but I am thinking of giving them a bamboo support to sprawl against.

The variety is Urbikany which is described as a 3' bush. The planter is 2' by 4' and 16" deep with a nearby south-facing wall to trap a bit more heat and legs to allow airflow underneath and around. Real Seeds advise that two in there will be slightly crowded but it is bigger than a single plant would require. I have no idea of the yield we may expect from each Urbikany.

What I am thinking of doing is raiding the bamboo stick pile and placing uprights in three pairs (making sure I don't pierce the liner of the planter) with a long stick across each long side and three short ones front to back, all tied together with kitchen string (which is what I have handy).

I don't know how robust bush tomatoes tend to be and how much support they might need. Am I wasting my time or are they likely to appreciate the extra support?

Thoughts?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Supporting bush tomatoes in a planter?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 12:35 »
Firstly, I'd advise against overcrowding any type of outdoor tomato plants - the reduced airflow will considerably increase the chances of blight.

I grow Red Alert in a cold frame (top removed when they get too large) and use an increasing amount of twine tied to a batten across the top of the frame in an attempt to stop the increasingly heavy stems either breaking or bending to the ground where the fruits will either rot or get munched by slugs.

Your plan sounds about right, but you may need something other than string which might damage the stems when they get blown around (ladies' tights are often recommended, wearer removed before use. ;))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 12:49 »
I wasn't going to let them lean on the string - it was just for binding the bamboo box together and they could rest across the horizontal sticks.

Hopefully blight isn't too much of a risk up here since these are early bush toms but the planter has good all round airflow and is a couple of feet up off the deck too. I'll try a pair of toms but if it does get overcrowded I can always prune out the centre and put a single plant in next season.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 15:26 »
I have changed my mind about spacing and will take your advice of one per planter, not two...

... but what about a support (or not)? Any thoughts? They will be able to trail down the side if they want to but I don't know how robustly upright Urbikany is.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 18:05 »
I have changed my mind about spacing and will take your advice of one per planter, not two...

... but what about a support (or not)? Any thoughts? They will be able to trail down the side if they want to but I don't know how robustly upright Urbikany is.

I think you are right to have just the one plant  :D
I have found making a cylinder out of  the kind of weldmesh with large holes, often called pig fencing, gives a good solid sort of cage around the plant, but narrower than the pot itself, through which shoots grow but you can get our hand in the harvest fruit easily if any grow inside. It can be held upright with three canes woven through the wire itself
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Supporting tomatoes

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 22:45
by coatesi
xx
Supporting giant tomatoes

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 23:07
by gobs
xx
bush tomatoes

Started by gladis on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 17:59
by DD.
xx
Bush Tomatoes

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 23:16
by noshed

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 39 queries.