Potatoes

• 16 Replies

al78

Potatoes
« on: March 19, 2019, 19:09 »
It is getting to that time of year. Is anyone thinking of planting their first earlies this coming weekend, or are you leaving it a bit longer?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 19:53 »
2nd weekend of april.
Still a tad chilly and wet here.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 19:56 »
Next week, wife's birthday Monday..start after that

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 22:34 »
Got the day off work Monday so will plant all the spuds then probably. I plant 1st & 2nd earlies, mains and salad types all at the same time.

al78

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 23:14 »
I'd like to plant the 1st earlies this weekend, but with rain falling nearly every day so far this month and clay soil, it might be better to wait for a few days of dry sunny weather (assuming we are allowed some of that this month). I think I am going to plant the 2nd earlies and mains later because in previous years I have had a glut of earlies in summer then the mains are ready well before I have got through the 2nd earlies. I can store the maincrop but inevitably they sprout in storage because I haven't got anywhere cold enough to store them over autumn/winter.

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 07:56 »
Next week for me then 2nds and main in mid April.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 09:14 »
1st earlies are done; 5 bags have been in the GH for 3 or 4 weeks, and the other 9 bags were done last weekend and are sitting on the decking.

2nd's are also done, planted in the ground last weekend.

Just the mains to go now, this weekend or next maybe. I'll also do some later planting of mains in around a month's time as well.
The weather has not been too cold here recently, and the soil's the same. It just feels like the right time to do them now, and without going all scientific, that's all I have to go on.   :lol:
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

mower man

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 11:19 »
I put half a row in 26/2/19
and the other half row went in yesterday
hopefully going to put all the other spuds in tomorrow 21/03/19
all covered with fleece just in case
You may be only one person in the world,  but you may also be the world to one person.

jambop

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 18:02 »
It is getting to that time of year. Is anyone thinking of planting their first earlies this coming weekend, or are you leaving it a bit longer?
I have not put mine in yet and I live in SW France! It is all about soil temperature why plant into cold soil when the tubers will not respond? Better to plant when the soil is warm and then they will grow well. I think my potatoes will be going in next week sometime we are having some nice weather and the soil should be getting warmer every day.

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 19:07 »
 a up Monty's planted his new spuds last Friday on gardeners world so it must be that time again but I'm holding back my ground is still cold and wet I agree with you Jambop better when you can kick the dirt and not get an inch of sticky mud on your boots and then the ground will set like concrete

better to keep of unless you follow Monty and plant your potatoes in soggy raised bed although some of our guys mite have very light ground that maybe suitable for planting ?

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 19:20 »
Mine having been chitting for a while now but not tempted to plant yet.
I have bought some multipurpose compost ready to fill bags but it’s a bit cool yet I think. Probably second week of April I reckon depending on weather.

Cheers HH

Keep digging

pipfit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 17:48 »
MY 1st ear lies are just through the soil Covered with Fleece been just  over 3 weeks since I planted had good chits been in spare bedroom
pipfit

jambop

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 17:07 »
My spuds are going in tomorrow. We have had a lovely spell of weather and the ground is just right so in they go, only the one variety Charlotte it's a nice spud and we do not eat a lot of potatoes normally so two rows with 30 pots in each row is more than enough.

jaydig

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 19:30 »
I've just finished planting mine, but this year I'm only growing lst earlies and 2nd earlies.  I have planted them slightly deeper than I usually do, but this year I'm not going to earth them up.  I noticed last year that when we had such hot dry weather, when I watered, or when we did have a little rain, it just ran down the sides of the trenches and did very little good at all.
Murphy's law dictates that this year it will rain non stop, and they'll all drown!

al78

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 19:36 »
I've taken a chance and planted them (Abbot) this afternoon. The soil is not cold and has moisture, but is not wet and digs easily. If frost threatens when they come through the surface I'll put some fleece over them and earth them up. I'll put the 2nd earlies in next weekend, and the mains the weekend after that, which will hopefully increase the harvest time difference to reduce the risk of having too many potatoes at once.

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
Potatoes

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 16:42
by beesrus

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 50 queries.