I lost Sage today..

• 12 Replies

RosiesChooks

I lost Sage today..
« on: November 08, 2010, 12:51 »
..She hasnt been well for a while so I took her to the Vet this morning and sadly he couldnt do anything to help her so I decided to let her go.
He wasnt sure what it was but the others arent showing any symptoms and are fine.

Im gutted,didnt realise how much I love my chooks!
She leaves  Paxo and Rosie behind.

Theyre not just chickens are they!

:(

RosiesChooks

Re: I lost Sage today..
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 13:06 »
In case this may help someone else not to go through what I did-she only started showing symptoms last week when her bum got a bit messy.I brought her in and bathed her,then she started squirting this weird whitish stuff which seemed to get more liquid as the days went on.Then I noticed inside the coop she was laying in yellow stuff,instead of pooing nice solids like the other  two.
She stopped laying weeks ago,unlike the other two-I just thought she was coming into her moult.
Finally I noticed she was losing weight and drinking a LOT,she wasnt interested in going out and just stood all the time.Today she didnt want to come out of the coop at all,just stood and looked miserable.
 :(
The Vet doesnt think it was catching as thank God the other two are fine,he suspected maybe chicken leukemia but she was very young-could have been her kidneys packing up but I guess I'll never know.
RIP Little Sage xx

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 13:08 »
So sorry to hear about your loss - no they're not just chickens. This was the only thing that was putting me off getting chickens because I knew I would get attached to them & I have! I think it is the price you have to pay but it is worth it. Try & remember what a good life you gave her & remember that your other 2 hens still need you.
Helen

RosiesChooks

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 13:11 »
Laying down by my bike when she was a healthy little girl
x

RosiesChooks

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 13:12 »
Thanks Helen I will,I just cooked some pasta and veg for Paxo and Rosie,spoilt more so than usual,just how it should be

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 13:34 »
When a hen shows the first sign of illness it means it's really ill - they hide it well. 

Swift treatment is usually necessary but in this case I don't think it would have made a great deal of difference.  It's just bad luck Rosie :(

hen maiden

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 14:36 »
Oh dear, I'm so sorry.

NormandyMary

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 15:26 »
Oh you poor poor thing. Chookie heaven has another member, and by looking at your picture, she's adding a bit of glamour too!!!!
At least if Sage was in any pain, she isnt now, she's having a great time with the others up there. You'll miss her for several days to come I know, but the sadness will subside. Losing our little feathered friends is horrid. I never get used to it.
Good Luck in the future,

Mary.

TonyW

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 06:17 »
I'm sorry to hear about Sage. She looks really nice in the picture.

I had to have one of mine put to sleep last week so I know just how you feel.

Jeanette

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 11:48 »
I am so sory they are only small but they somehow manage to take over a piece of our hearts.

RosiesChooks

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 13:21 »
Thanks again for all your help and understanding,I didnt realise how much a part of me these little birds have till I lost one!

Just as a bit of a help for anyone worming-my Fluvenvet turned up today, bought some mealworms and dipped them in (like a sherbet dipdab)and the birds love them,should be easier to worm them this way!

::)

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 18:13 »
So sorry to hear of your loss.  You will be sad for a while but I'm sure you will remember and talk about all the happy times you had for a long time to come
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

minniebantam

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 18:31 »
 I am so sorry about Sage, it is impossible not to become attached to chickens they are such individual characters. I lost two of my bantams this year so do sympathise.
But do think of all the good times you had with her and how much she enjoyed her life with you.

xx
we lost a peacock today

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 18:24
by jack russell
xx
Lost one of my girls today

Started by Thingy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 22:49
by shetan
xx
Lost a chick and probably another one today!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 12:56
by GrannieAnnie
xx
lost 8 hens today fox killed them

Started by chick34 on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post October 10, 2006, 17:23
by snozzer

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 34 queries.