A couple of questions about window foil cards

• 1 Replies

Spr0ut

A couple of questions about window foil cards
« on: May 01, 2014, 22:41 »
I recently tried just hanging a strip of foil down one side of the window and I am impressed by how well this works to maximise light to plants in the window, so I am busy making foil cards for the windows.

Do you take the cards down at night? I am thinking they might trap the plants in cold air between the card and the window glass? We often say don't close the curtains on tender plants because it traps them in a cold spot overnight.

- and could I cover the cards in clear polythene to preserve the foil from snagging and scratches or would that stop the foil from reflecting as well?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: A couple of questions about window foil cards
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:49 »
I just use the aluminium foil on its own, scrunched round the pots as necessary to hold in place, but keeping the reflective side as smooth as possible. I rely on the double glazing to minimise the temperature drop at night, but I don't drop the blinds behind them.

If you don't have double glazing, you could try placing your cards on the window side at night to shield from the cold and also reflect room warmth back onto the plants.

Wouldn't go to the trouble of protecting with polythene - its bound to absorb some light and it could yellow or otherwise degrade quite quickly in sunlight.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
A Couple of Questions...

Started by teabelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 12:45
by teabelly
xx
Couple of questions

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:25
by fatcat1955
xx
A couple of questions - can anyone help?

Started by bedifferent on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 02:22
by gobs
xx
couple of questions

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 16:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 38 queries.