Worm in egg

• 4 Replies

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Worm in egg
« on: October 20, 2011, 15:12 »
When I was slicing a hard boiled egg for OH sandwich I found a worm in the white all solid and yuk, this came from a new hen which I only had for a few weeks, but strangely enough it was going to be worming week this week so I have started with flubenvet, do I need to be giving a higher dose as she has them already?this is the first case of worms that I have encountered, I usually worm every 3 months as they free range.(and yes I said nothing to him and he enjoyed the sandwich minus the worm!)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Worm in egg
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 15:18 »
Whilst worming keep a check on their droppings - for severe infestations you can repeat the dose for a second week. If it is a severe infestation however the dead worms can cause a blockage so keep a close eye on your hens whilst they are being wormed - just in case  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 15:24 »
There was a long white worm on a poop when I just cleared up, what type of symptoms should I look out for? Should I keep an eye and make sure every one is pooping?I think i will do a 2 week course just in case thankyou Joyfull

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 04:36 »
Oooh I had heard that on rare occasions a worm could get into the egg but never heard a real live case of it!  :unsure:  You're familiar with the structure of an egg... you wouldn't be mistaking the chalaza for a worm would you?
http://www.greatdayfarms.com/chalaza/

As for symptoms of a worm blockage, look out for any of the usual "sick chicken" signs - lethargy, sitting around with head pulled in and eyes shut, tail end down/tucked under.  You might see some of these anyway, due to the general discomfort of the worming process.  Just watch her and make sure she is still doing regular poos if she is looking sick (even if it means confining her to a box with newspaper in the bottom).

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 15:02 »
Thanks Lindeggs for the link but it was definately a cooked solid brown worm :tongue2:  I just hope I will be able to eat my eggs for breakfast this weekend! All girls are looking OK i am checking they are all pooping etc, with the research I have done I think they came to us already with this problem because of the incubation period. :mad:  Wow if I'd known this was so rare I would have taken a photo to share with you all :tongue2:

xx
should I re worm ?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 21:04
by SoniaBA
xx
how often should you worm?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 19:31
by jobson336
xx
to worm or not to worm???

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 22:36
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Should i worm now?

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 22:26
by HENrietta

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 40 queries.